[stylist] Plot and Character Development?

David Russell david.sonofhashem at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 17:20:09 UTC 2017

Hello Writers,

As some of you know, I belong to a critique writing group which is a
good thing. I find it true that what we may find in others, is
frequently true about ourselves as people and as writers. Agree?

Without seeing my story, can you still relate to the following
paraphrased observation:
"You tell your story like an essay in linear fashion. There is little
character development or plot. Those are two ingredients to a good
story."

The story has about 1500 words and is about a period of personal
growth in my main character's life. So, events do follow a linear
pattern but they lead to a conclusion.

I am finding that: show don't tell, character development, conflict,
plot, dialogue, are usually the things writers get called on the most
in critique groups. Of course, we don't know if their given submission
is just off the keyboard or the seventh revision.

There is probably no substitute for the person to person writing
group, but how do you gladly receive writer criticism especially if it
pushes buttons, which it probably should do to be affective and by
email or online?

I am currently reading a set of short stories by John Scalzi and
question his show vs. tell in narration.
--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem at gmail.com
"chilah phanim" Make G-d smile!