[stylist] Gone With The Wind; some interesting thoughts

Jackie Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Tue Sep 26 18:36:53 UTC 2017

Bill,
I am just getting to reviewing some threads that sounded interesting.
This discussion of "Gone With the Wind" surely got different responses.
I believe that I read it once in high school and again later, and have seen
the movie at least ten times.
My feelings about Scarlet are very mixed. Basically I feel her selfishness,
her heartlessness, the ability to lie and manipulate all to her purposes.
Then I see this woman with an obsession about a man that keeps her from
seeing the reality of what love is, her courage, her perseverance and her
many quick reactions to her false perceptions.
In other words, she is a very human characterization of a conflicted woman.
I wanted so much for her to know she was in love with Rhett.
In my poetry class a member was reading something I had written about being
born in Georgia. At the outset I mentioned having a big black Mammy who baby
sat me, rocked me, and could spit across the room, dead-on into the fire.
There is a black poet in our group who was visibly jarred. I asked if it
offended her, and the answer was Yes. We had a good discussion about the
historical nature of such incidents, and whether they have any place in our
writing anymore.
Actually, I loved my big, black Mammy, and perhaps that is why I felt such
an affinity for Scarlet's mammy.
When I read the story, I do not remember having   so many conflicts over
what it meant in terms of either romantic or racial relationships, and
acceptance. I was not blind until much later in life.
My parents were unusual for their time, in that my father supported a black
college, my mother was an artist and had a black protégé who came to our
home in a very white suburb of Chicago. I was about to leave for my first
teaching job, and offered to drive Ted home to his in South Chicago. He
would not let me park in front of their apartment in case someone would
thing he had a  white girlfriend. I guess that was the first time I realized
that prejudice went both ways.
And, yes, I think "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus," is a good
book to internalize.  Though perhaps the distinctions are blurring a bit
more now, I still think it holds much truth in the interpretations of the
sexes.
You are a thoughtful and deep person.
I do hope things will continue to become easier for you as the years
progress.
I, myself, do not feel  good right now about how race relations are moving.
My book in progress is about the five years my husband and my three young
boys spent in Uganda, East Africa during the years when Idi Amin took over
the country in a coup. I almost see similarities here when looking at our
leadership. It scares me.

Jackie Lee

Time is the school in which we learn.
Time is the fire in which we burn.