[stylist] Gone With The Wind; some interesting thoughts

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 02:18:10 UTC 2017

Hi Bill, you bring up some interesting points with this book. I admire Scarlest and I dislike her at the same time. She is totally self-centered, and cares little for the conventions of her time. And yet I admire her strength and determination. She also runs roughshod over the feelings of others. I also feel  uncomfortable with Scarlett because a former boyfriend told me I was like her. LOL. I also don't think he meant it in a complimentary way.

Okay, does Scarlett have similarities with some disabled people gaining their independence? Perhaps. I have been in situations where I felt that in making a point about blindness, some people ran roughshod over the feelings of others. It also seems that some people who are "successful" are in some ways self-centered. Some people who have gained notoriety both in and outside the blindness community, have stepped on other people to get to where they are. They have taken total control of people's lives, like Scarlett did with her sister Sue Ellen who wanted to enter a convent.

In terms of slavery in Gone With the Wind, I do not think that it glorifies it, or makes it seem like a great thing. It is writing from a particular historical time. Anyway, just some of my thoughts.

I think high school is an appropriate time to read _Gone with the _Wind. Kids have minds that are able to think, to stretch, and to think in ways that sometimes we as adults have a hard time doing.   Debby