[Stylist] Poem: "Blindness"

Abraxas Ardent lukaeon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 19:11:08 UTC 2018

HI Stylists,

I wrote this poem about a week ago, about my process of coming to terms
with blindness.  Like most, I'm sure, it's taken me years to get to a
place of contentment, even fulfillment, but I'm finally actually there.
I've also written a poem about the beginning of the process, about the
shocking event of losing my eyesight; I"ll post that soon.

--Brax

(Poem follows below.)

---

Blindness
(for Luke Wyatt)

Abraxas Ardent  copyright 2018
United States of America
All Rights Reserved

It's a sizzling fat damnation at first.
  You stagger your childhood streets, you smash your nose
on familiar walls,  you trip, you fall an murder God
in your outraged savage heart. Strangers get it wrong somehow,
like your blind on purpose, you're being some kind of mad unkind obtuse.
But after seven years, or ten or twelve, the fires subside, burn out,
and you find one day that you can ride Bach fugues like a sublime toboggan,
that familiar voices are hueful as Renoir gardens, and the sheets
on your bed are sweet as Rainier streams. You suffer still:
easy text is lost to you like an abducted mother and familiar
streets can teem with deathful  spites. Not born a superman,
you grow a cape, you learn arts of patience and abide. And clver tech, too,
teaches joy: androids sing my email, clarify my thought stream
and my deeply eared poems,lensed through my heart's purgation, ignite
galaxies.

--

"A crack in the teacup opens a lane to the land of the dead." --Auden