[Stylist] Blindness matters

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Wed Dec 12 19:56:39 UTC 2018

Bridgit,

You bring up some very interesting points. Although the two examples you
point out could be viewed as positive, I doubt the reality of the examples
the author wrote about. I'm sure the grandma on the bus still worried about
her grand daughter getting around--she just wanted to boast that she didn't
need a guide dog.
As for positive portrayals of blind people in the media--unless the
publisher/editor was referring to NFB literature, I'm not sure what media
was being considered. There was a TV show a couple of years ago, with JK
Simmons as a blind dad. The show had many faults, including that the Dad
faked he could see, but generally he was capable--and I think the network
pulled the show after 5 or 6 episodes.
Although you are absolutely correct that better than good writing is
imperative to finding an agent/publisher, I believe agents, publishers, and
the consumers of media are still mostly interested in heartwarming,
overcoming the tragedy of blindness type stories/essays/books. If a
character in either fiction or non-fiction is simply blind, and not
pathetic, traumatic, prophetic, or pulling at the audiences heartstrings,
there is little interest.

Chris