[Stylist] Blindness matters

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 17:34:05 UTC 2018

Chris,

I don't disagree with you, but there are also examples of literature showing
more positive examples. I'm not saying it's still not the exception, but for
example, YA books like Girl Stolen by April Henry and Not if I see you First
show capable, independent blind characters. Is everything right in these
books? No, of course not, but they do show a very different version of
blindness than some literature. So, there are publisher's willing to accept
these stories. But yes, in general, there's still a long way to go.

And with nonfiction, in my experience, it really depends on the
editor/publisher. With my work, people seem to want to hear a story about a
capable blind person, and I've read some memoirs by disabled people
demonstrating the same mindset, like Nancy Mairs, who is probably the
example for all nonfiction writers wanting to write about disability.

Bridgit