[Stylist] Reposting: Publishing Guidelines

llambert at zoominternet.net llambert at zoominternet.net
Mon Jan 22 14:18:15 UTC 2018

To All who want to publish your work - this is a great question. I have a few thoughts to share on this topic.

Just check the guidelines for what that particular venue specifies before you send  them your work. If you do not follow the guidelines, then you won't have much success and it might happen that your work will not be considered at all.  You need to be careful and really scrutinize those  guidelines EVERY  TIME you  send something out. Most guidelines are clear about what to do and what not to do.

Some editors accept previously published material and they state it in the  guidelines. I write for one publication that loves to get previously published material for he says that if it was good enough for other magazines, it is worthy of being published again. He just wants the information on where else it appeared so he can note it in his publication with the work. But, I find this is not typical.

Other venues will publish work as long as it has not been published by a third party. In other words, you can put it on your blog with no problem and they will accept it. Be sure to state where the work has been previously published when you submit it. If it is chosen for publication, they will publish your "previous published" notation at the end of your work usually.

Another situation you may encounter is that you may have 2 publications that accept your piece around the same time.  You may have already given consent to the  first one to publish your piece and then shortly after that, the second one comes  in as accepted. Immediately notify that second publisher that you have scheduled that particular work with the first one.  It is so important to be honest and up front with the people who are considering your work. Sometimes the second publication will decide to print your piece also. But always let them know the situation.  I have only had this happen once and it worked out that both published my poem. I was delighted with this, but I did not expect it.  Try not to do multiple submissions for it can cause problems you don't want to have.

I just published a blog article on publishing my work  that you may enjoy.  I wrote an article about my own reflection on 2017 and how it worked out for me. For the year 2017, I selected the word "Intention" for my "Word for the Year." One of my intentions was to get my work out regularly and make that a priority  during 2017.  Because I am a retired professor, I am used to writing an "End of the Year" report on professional development. This is what I wrote about in the blog article.  I broke down all my successful publications for the year by category or genre. The  results  surprised me - I  exceeded the previous year's publications by over 100 percent.
Good Luck to you for 2018!

Read my Year End Progress Report:  http://www.lyndalambert.com/progress-report/

Get your Wings in 2018:  http://www.lyndalambert.com/get-your-wings-in-2018/

I hope this helps someone and I would love to know where you are next year at this time in your own publishing journey. It's really a lot of fun.

Lynda Lambert
www.lyndalambert.com