[Stylist] Fw: REMINDER: NFB Writers Division Monthly Gathering, Sunday, Jan 28

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 20:26:57 UTC 2018

From: Robert Gardner
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 12:54 PM
To: stylist at nfbnet.org
Subject: Announcement: NFB Writers Division Monthly Gathering, Jan 28

Forwarded for Shelley Alongi, 1st VP Writers Division

***
Happy New Year from me and Brandy. We lost our chief cat editor, Pearl, two days after Christmas to neumonia and seventeen years of happy memories. So we start the new year of gatherings with one less cat and a promising calendar of speakers.

I noticed that several of you took advantage of the play back feature for our November gathering. I apologize if I didn't send an announcement out for December. It was scheduled and I was there. December and July may be good months to suspend with the meetings since July is convention break and December just gets crazy.

Moving forward, January 28 will be our monthly Writers' Division gathering. January's gathering will be a talk by Phyllis Campbell, publisher of several books some of which are available on BARD. Her latest book is Where Sheep May Safely Graze which is available on Amazon.

About the Author
Phyllis Staton Campbell was born blind in Amherst County Virginia, and moved to Staunton, Virginia when she was seven. She sees her blindness not as a handicap, but as a challenge. “Sometimes you triumph, sometimes you fail, but you face that challenge,” she says.

She can’t remember a time when God wasn’t a part of her life. “He is as real to me as the wind in the trees or the sun on my face.”

Her parents who knew the importance of special education allowed her to leave home at the age of six to attend the Virginia School for the Deaf and the blind, a residential school. “The school gave me more than an excellent education. It gave me a sense of self and my place in the world.”

She lives in Staunton, Virginia in the house she shared with her loved husband, Chuck, who waits on the other side of that door called death. She writes two columns for Our Special, a magazine for the blind, and a crafts column for The Blind Post, an online publication. She serves as organist at Faith Church in historic downtown Staunton.

Where Sheep May Safely Graze is her sixth published book. Other books by the author: friendships in the dark; come home my heart; who will hear them cry; a place to belong; out of the night; The Evil Men Do, true crime, written under contract for the family of the victim.

In order to respect the time commitments of others we will keep the call to one hour.

I look forward to seeing all of you on the phone. There are some great things going on in the writing world of our members. Please help support us by listening and participating and letting us know what is going on with your writing. See below for call-in information.

Till January 28 and beyond, have a wonderful week and keep dreaming and writing!

The call will take place at 8:00 PM eastern, 7:00 Pm central, 6:00 PM Mountain, and 5:00 pacific time. To join our call, dial (515)739-1033 and enter access code 568839 followed by the pound sign.

I will send the playback number out to the list immediately after the call ends. See you then!