[Stylist] Library Service and Implications

David Russell david.sonofhashem at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 14:08:14 UTC 2018

Hello Stylist Members,

I had an interesting lesson to learn with regard to services from my
library for the blind. Here, I request book titles through my local
county library that has within it a person who serves the needs of
blind patrons from our county and then sends the requests to the state
library in Lansing. For some reason, books no longer come from the
county branch.
Anyhow, if you are categorized as an "on demand" client, your book
titles are either entered as a request or a reservation. Request is
sort of like a wish list whereas reservation is send when available.
Our county person has been putting my orders in as request or wish
list items lately. I went over her head and called the state library
to find out the reason for the delay.
The implication is if you, as a writer, have a book available as a
talking book, it may be a while before some readers can or actually
read it unless they know the workings of the damn system.
On a brighter note, I was able to subscribe and read "Reader's Digest"
from GooglePlay. Nice to know there are alternatives to good old NLS,
so much for
'library for the blind' what a misnomer.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem at gmail.com
"chilah phanim" Make G-d smile!