[Stylist] 7 days & 7 Poets- Day 4_

llambert at zoominternet.net llambert at zoominternet.net
Thu Apr 18 14:48:31 UTC 2019

Dear Writing Community at NFB Writer's Division.

First, I must apologize to you for the post I sent on  WCW - I learned later
that I had a glitch and it sent you on a circle and never to the actual
post.

Horrified! But I fixed it the next day and readers found it - so these
things happen,  but what a shock when I saw what I did. Blogging is a
wonderful adventure.

Since this is Day 18 of National Poetry Month, I have just completed a new
post on my blog at  http://www.lyndalambert.com/yusef-komunyakaa/

Below is a copy of the main section of my writing today on Yusef Komunyakaa
in which I include information on how to explicate a poem.

I included a wonderful explication of Komunyakaa's poem " Blackberries," and
link to the blog where the author posted it.

I taught the work of Komunyakaa in my "Focused Option" courses for English
Majors for quite a few years.  For these courses in Humanities, I focused on
4 poets  for the entire semester. Komunyakaa was a favorite of us all.

For the 7 Poets & 7 Days series,  I've posted articles on:

Georg Trakl (Austrian)

William Carlos Williams (American)

Robert Bly (American)

Yusef Komunyakaa (American)

In the next 3 days I'll be writing about 3 additional American poets on my
list of 7 Favorites.

Below is the text for today's post:

2019 - I am Reflecting on my 7 Favorite Poets this Week.

Yusef Komunyakaa

On April 29, 1947, Yusef Komunyakaa was born in Bogalusa, Louisiana,

7 Days - 7 Poets

In my personal library, there is a shelf which holds several books by  Yusef
Komunyakaa, American Poet.

This modest 7-day series will introduce my readers to 7 different poets who
have influenced my creative  and professional life as an academic scholar,
author, and visual artist.  I am presenting them for  enjoyment because they
have given me so much pleasure over the years since I first read their
work..

-

A  poem by Yusef Komunyakaa~

"Blackberries"

They left my hands like a printer's
Or thief's before a police blotter
& pulled me into early morning's
Terrestrial sweetness, so thick
The damp ground was consecrated
Where they fell among a garland of thorns.

Although I could smell old lime-covered
History, at ten I'd still hold out my hands
& berries fell into them. Eating from one
& filling a half gallon with the other,
I ate the mythology & dreamt
Of pies & cobbler, almost

Needful as forgiveness. My bird dog Spot
Eyed blue jays & thrashers. The mud frogs
In rich blackness, hid from daylight.
An hour later, beside City Limits Road
I balanced a gleaming can in each hand,
Limboed between worlds, repeating one dollar.

The big blue car made me sweat.
Wintertime crawled out of the windows.
When I leaned closer I saw the boy
& girl my age, in the wide back seat
Smirking, & it was then I remembered my fingers
Burning with thorns among berries too ripe to touch.

~Yusef Komunyakaa

To Think About:

Would you set aside some time today to read ONE  favorite poem?

Read through the poem a time or two.

Begin to write what you SEE  and HEAR  in that poem.

Be aware of all of your senses as you read and write.

Record how each of the senses brings  information to you.

SEARCH  for FACTS  in the text.

You are a detective and you are looking for clues of meaning as you read and
think about the words..

EXPLICATING a POEM.

It is a DEEP READING of a poem - and you will be making discoveries as you
continue to investigate the poem.

-

EXAMPLE of PXPLICATING A POEM:

Visit  This po
<https://dandeliondiadem.wordpress.com/2009/06/18/blackberries-by-yusef-komu
nyakaa/> st
<https://dandeliondiadem.wordpress.com/2009/06/18/blackberries-by-yusef-komu
nyakaa/>  for an explication of "Blackberries."

This blog post is an excellent example of how to write an explication of a
poem.

Now it is your turn:

Pick a favorite poem by one of your favorite poets and write an explication
of the poem.

This exercise will help  you to understand a poem more than you would in
just a quick reading.

Think of the poem as a gold mine - you are about to begin a treasure hunt in
that poem.

Taking time to really investigate and search through the poem will bring you
to treasures you may have missed before.

What poem will you choose?

What poet will you choose?

To read biography & more poems by Yusef Komunyakaa:  Click here!
<https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poet/yusef-komunyakaa>

Lynda

About Lynda McKinney Lambert

On FaceBook:

My FaceBook Personal Page <https://www.facebook.com/lyndamckinneylambert>

River Road Studio Page
<https://www.facebook.com/River-Road-Studio-175785105811956/>

Walking by Inner Vision Page
<https://www.facebook.com/walkingbyinnervision/>

My SCAN BLOG Page <https://www.facebook.com/SCAN-782814908467623/>

Visit my 2 Blogs:

 <http://www.lyndalambert.com/> Website & Blog:  Walking by Inner Vision -
personal blog

Scan Blog <http://www.llambert363.blog/>  - A quiet Place of Inspiration. We
love Art, Nature, Literature

More information on my books:

My Author's Page <http://www.dldbooks.com/lyndalambert>

Buy the book on Amazon - for $3.99
<https://www.amazon.com/Walking-Inner-Vision-Stories-Poems/dp/1543121624/ref
=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1532177952&sr=1-1&keywords=Walking+by+Inner+Visi
on>

Walking by Inner Vision: Stories
<https://www.amazon.com/Walking-Inner-Vision-Stories-Poems/dp/1543121624/ref
=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1532177952&sr=1-1&keywords=Walking+by+Inner+Visi
on> & Poems

Contact Lynda:  riverwoman at zoominternet.net
<mailto:riverwoman at zoominternet.net>

Address: 104 River Road, Ellwood City, PA 16117