[Stylist] Apollo 11 Story Feedack and Vend Fest

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Wed Jan 23 15:07:21 UTC 2019

Hi Tina,

I think your narrative is interesting, age appropriate, and isn't too long
that the kids will be bored. If comedy was your thing, you might add some
humorous lines. If you were Lynn Manuel Moranda or Drake, you might write it
in a rap version, but you aren't.

I have two grown kids now, but I can assure you that growing up we listened
to audio books together, went to museums, went to hear speakers--all of
which engaged them. Sure they like technology and graphics and explosions,
but it's not necessary, especially in a relatively short presentation. And
with your sound effects, I really think you are on target for a great
presentation.

One thing I thought you might include is the distance to the moon, and then
some other distances to help give the kkids perspective. I think it's
238,000 miles to the moon, and for me, it's 2 miles to the mall. It's 170
miles to Boston,295 miles to Washington DC, and 1,950 miles to San Diego. If
you go all the way around the earth at the equator it's 24,900 miles, so the
trip to the moon is more than ten laps around planet earth away.

I like your thoughts on a take away message for the kids. Perhaps something
like--The mission to the moon was unchartered territory. No human had ever
even tried it. If things went wrong, the astronauts could die. They knew
this, and although they were probably scared--very scared--they were
courageous and brave. They faced their fears and did something incredible.
Each of you will have times in your life where you are afraid to try
something new, to travel to somewhere you have never been before, to do a
job you aren't certain you can do. But just like the astronauts of Apollo
11, you can be brave, face your fears, and conquer whatever obstacles you
face.
Something like that, anyway.

Barbara's idea of contacting Noreen is a good one. She used to develop
materials for blind kids to get more out of planetarium visits and wrote
several braille/tactile space and stars books. I believe she had some health
problems a while back, and I haven't heard much since then. I don't have her
phone number any more, but you can get it from the nfb CT 8 6 0 - 2 8 9 - 1
9  7 1

The fact you are so concerned about this presentation assures me you will do
a great job.
Good luck.

Chris