[Stylist] organizing poetry

Barbara HAMMEL poetlori8 at msn.com
Fri Jun 14 16:44:52 UTC 2019

For Lynda and Jackie and anyone else intimately familiar with all forms of poetry, when I find myself unable to write, it seems I devise new ways to organize my poems: by category, by date written, by day of the week, by year, by letter, by month written, by number at the top, by number of words in title — yeah, I'm weird. Now I have decided to sort them by form. My question to you, then, is: I have a number of poems that are essentially written in blank verse, in that they have the same number of syllables in each line, or a few lines with one off, but they are not iambic pentameter. Are they still blank verse or free verse? (Did I mention I'm a perfectionist so want to have folders labeled correctly and poems in correct places?) Barbara Hammel