[Stylist] Question about critiquing other peoples' writing

Vejas Vasiliauskas alpineimagination at gmail.com
Sat May 4 06:58:11 UTC 2019

Hi All,
I have a question about critiquing a piece of writing when the author is new to a particular style of writing. A friend of mine at school sent me a short story to read and critique for a non-major creative writing class. It had a great premise, but really needed work on character development, spelling, grammar and tenses. I wrote back (this was through email) that this was a great first draft and I loved the premise, and gave some examples of particular passages that needed to be changed, with the general point to check spelling and grammar. I didn't want to point out all the grammar mistakes I saw so as not to make it seem too overwhelming.
I wanted to ask you all if you critique in the same way with a newer writer as you would with these who write quite a bit. I have a few friends who enjoy writing, and when looking at their work I feel more comfortable giving constructive criticism.
Thanks,
Vejas