[Stylist] Becoming a book editor

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Mon May 20 19:02:55 UTC 2019

Vejas,

If your goal is to become a book editor, it's totally doable, but it will
require a lot of time working towards it. One doesn't just become an editor,
whether for books or magazines. Typically, you need a degree, usually in
English and/or writing, and most have MFAs also, but not always. Then, you
usually need to do at least one internship with a publisher of some kind.
After all this, you will still likely spend years as a copy editor then move
up to a junior editor before becoming a senior editor. It's a tough,
competitive field. But you are the determined, hard-working kind of person
who can do it if this is what you want.

Of course, you can find independent means of editing. Creating your own
editing business and doing it independently, but I don't know anyone who
does this and is able to make their living solely from doing it.

I know a lot of editors and have worked with a lot of editors. They all say
it's a difficult field to break into, especially these days, and it can be
cut-throat. It all depends on how much you want it, and if you're willing to
put the years of work in. Because, again, it's not like other employment
options where you immediately begin doing that particular job. To be honest,
you may even spend time doing glorified receptionist work before getting to
do any editing. Again, all depends on how much you want to do it.

The only exceptions I know of about people becoming editors for companies
quickly are those who have published a couple of books, and most also teach
at the collegiate level. They have a slightly easier time becoming literary
editors, but often, they are sought out, not necessarily applying for a
position.

Hope this helps.

Bridgit