[Stylist] Dreams - Night Writing

llambert at zoominternet.net llambert at zoominternet.net
Tue Oct 22 10:51:11 UTC 2019

Vejas, what a great topic to bring up - writing at night.

I seldom do anything with prompts because I have more ideas for what to
write about than I will ever be able to write in my lifetime.

Writing Block is something I know nothing about - for me, there is never
enough time to write all that is in my mind to write.

I  have never needed to sleep like most people - normally only 3 hours is
all I would sleep in any one night.

Most of my writing is done at  night - I get up at 2 or 3 am, and work for
anywhere from 2-3 hours, just about every night.

This enables me to put down thoughts or dreams - and if I have a  dream that
has imagery I want to capture, I get up, go downstairs to my office, and
write whatever it is that was on my mind.

If I am not at home and don't have access to my computer, I carry a
Milestone, on which I record ideas.  I softly speak into that Milestone when
riding in a car or picking up on conversations I want to remember later.  I
make notes on the milestone when I am reading books also. This is how I
capture quotes from books that I want to refer to in later writings - the
Milestone is only the size of a credit card, so I can carry it so easily
without anyone ever suspecting I am recording on it - they don't even see
it, usually. I've been using a Milestone for 11 years - I learned about it
wen I did a 3-month residency for Personal Adjustment to Blindness, at the
Blind and Vision  Rehabilitation Services in Pittsburgh, PA in the spring of
2008.  This is my most-used tool  in my arsenal of tech stuff.

My dreams are harrowing - I have seldom, if ever, had a pleasant dream.  I
am always in  dangerous places, with no way out - and  always very high up
on a mountain top - mostly in winter time, with high winds and icy
conditions - my dreams are typically supernatural  in nature - and I have
written a number of poems from my dreams.  In my chapbook, first snow, that
will be released on January 3 on Amazon (Publisher is Finishing Line Press),
I have a "Dream Sequence" with  8 poems, written directly from my dreams.  I
have an extremely rich dream-life - from my earliest memory onwards.  I
cannot lie down to have a "little nap" without going immediately into a
dream state - a very deep sleep - with vivid and lucid dreams.

It has often been said by others that when they read my writings, it is like
they are in a dream and they don't want to waked up.

One reviewer said of my book, Walking by Inner Vision: Stories & Poems, "I
was so sad when I came to the end of the book."  This surprised me and I
asked her why.

I thought she was glad to be done with it for some reason and I wondered
what it was. I thought my writing depressed her.

Instead she told me, "I never wanted it to end  - I wanted to stay in this
place, forever.  I  wanted to  keep reading the book forever."

I was so happy to hear this reaction from her.

This is the same reaction that my paintings and art work evoke in my viewers
- No matter what we are doing in our creative life, we are living in the
overflow of what we dwell on.  In my own experiences, I see that the
overflow I capture is definitely connected to my night life of dreams  that
compel me to get up and write - every night.  While this is true of my
writing, my art is not that way at all. I have never in all the years since
I started painting in 1976, painted at night.  I have, when traveling, drawn
in my sketchbooks at night - in the dark - and I' have written poems about
drawing in the dark - but painting, never.

Lynda

My Books

first snow, chapbook
<https://www.finishinglinepress.com/product/first-snow-by-lynda-mckinney-lam
bert/>

Star Signs: New and Selected Poems
<https://www.amazon.com/Star-Signs-New-Selected-Poems/dp/1075265436/ref=sr_1
_2?keywords=Lynda+McKinney+Lambert&qid=1570213785&s=books&sr=1-2>

Walking by Inner Vision: Stories
<https://www.amazon.com/Walking-Inner-Vision-Stories-Poems/dp/B07S45ZY39/ref
=sr_1_1?keywords=Lynda+McKinney+Lambert&qid=1570213669&s=books&sr=1-1> &
Poems

Concerti: Psalms for the Pilgrimage
<https://www.amazon.com/Concerti-Psalms-Pilgrimage-Lynda-Lambert/dp/19293591
87/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=Lynda+Lambert&qid=1570213942&s=books&sr=1-6>

E-books on Smashwords

Social Media

Lynda's Author Page at Amazon <https://www.amazon.com/author/lyndalambert>

Lynda's Page at DLD Books <http://www.dldbooks.com/lyndalambert/>