[Stylist] Answering Questions

ckuell at comcast.net ckuell at comcast.net
Mon Aug 23 19:27:12 UTC 2021

Hi Vejas,

I think your gut instinct to answer their question, and then to check if
your writing indeed needs to be clearer is spot on. However, it does depend
on the critiquer, and how well you know them. Most often when I critique a
piece of writing, I'm not actually asking about this or that, but rather
pointing out that the writing is unclear and the author should consider
rewording or revising. However, sometimes when people ask questions about my
work in a critique, I'll answer their questions. But I always think
carefully about their question, and their critique. Were you clear, and they
just missed it, or do you need to rethink what you wrote?

Both critiquing, and receiving critiques, is the best way to improve your
writing, in my opinion. However, you need to consider feedback
carefully--meaning does the person giving the critique know what they are
talking about? Do they have a valid point, or do they just wish the story
went in another direction, or that a character was different? One time a
woman who was giving me a critique wrote something like--This guy is a jerk
and I'd never date anyone like him. I replied--thanks, I'm glad you know
what you like. But I didn't change the character, since I wanted him in that
scene to be a bit of a jerk.

That's probably not the best example, but I think you know what I mean. As
the writer, you get to decide which comments/suggestions have merit, and
which don't.

Chris