[Stylist] want to be a beta reader? Read on

Ann Chiappetta anniecms64 at gmail.com
Wed May 24 18:05:35 UTC 2023

I'm looking for beta readers for the draft of my second novel,
Imperfections.  It is a story of destiny and obsession and the determination
of love. Elaina Cartwright lands in the San Francisco bay area and is
attacked . She turns to her  friends to help her out. She becomes involved
in an abusive relationship and struggles to make sense of how she got
herself, at age seventeen, into  such a toxic situation. When  her boyfriend
introduces her to his cousin, Elaina is forced to endure the cruel jealousy
as she and the cousin fall in love. Descriptions of sexual abuse and
consensual  sex.

If you want to give it a try, email me at anniecms64 at gmail.com
<mailto:anniecms64 at gmail.com>  .

I provide five target questions for beta readers to answer. I ask at least
one question is answered as specifically as possible and for beta readers to
return the feedback within three months.

Below is a  definition and description of   what a beta reader is and how
being one assists the author.

The most important role of a beta reader is providing valuable feedback and
not saying  things  like "I loved your story,". A beta reader will continue
with "I loved the book. But one scene didn't seem clear to me. I wasn't sure
who was speaking," and so forth. Being specific is critical for the author.

Here is  what https://www.masterclass.com/articles/beta-reader-guide says
about beta readers:

A beta reader is a person-a friend, family member, colleague, or
acquaintance-who reads a completed book manuscript prior to its publication
with the goal of providing feedback to the author. The beta reader's role is
to deliver constructive criticism from the perspective of a book's target
readership.

The term beta reader has origins in the software industry, in which it's
common practice to engage with individuals called beta testers to pinpoint
bugs and comment on the end user's experience prior to the software's wider
distribution

3 Reasons to Work With a Beta Reader

Beta reading is an important part of the writing process and helps the
author in multiple ways:

1. Beta readers can point out errors. An author spends a lot of time writing
their first draft and therefore has worked out all of the plot points and
logic puzzles in their own head. Sometimes those decisions don't make it
onto the page, however, which causes confusion for the reader. A beta reader
looks at the book with fresh eyes and will find those plot holes and point
them out to the author so they can correct the mistakes.

2. Beta readers provide opinions about the book. A beta reader is one of the
potential purchasers once a book hits store shelves. If they don't think the
book is interesting or otherwise don't enjoy it, they can give the author
this important feedback.

3. Beta readers may be your only opportunity to test your book. If you plan
to self-publish your book, then a beta reader could be the first time
someone other than you will read it. Their opinions could shape the eventual
sales of your book. By taking their considerations into play, you can avoid
putting out an unprofessional result.

End of text from https://www.masterclass.com/articles/beta-reader-guide

Ann Chiappetta M.S.

 <http://www.annchiappetta.com/> http://www.annchiappetta.com

Making Meaningful Connections Through Media

 <mailto:Ann.m.chiappetta at gmail.com> Ann.m.chiappetta at gmail.com

Blog:  <http://www.thought-wheel.com/> www.thought-wheel.com

914.393.6605

"Trust dreams. Trust your heart, and trust your story."

- Neil Gaiman