[TAGS] ideas for Baltimore ArtScape proposal

Cheryl Fogle-Hatch c.k.fogle at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 11:25:07 UTC 2017

Thanks to everyone who expressed interest in proposing a display of
tactile art at ArtScape in Baltimore.

This year's festival dates are July 20-22, 2018.  The proposal
deadline is February 28, 2018.  I'm writing to

share background information and my thoughts about next steps.

background:
"In recent years, Artscape organizers have applied an overarching
theme, relevant to both the arts and

Baltimore City, into the festival’s creative thinking. For 2018, we’re
going back to the basics…ART and

celebrating Baltimore’s pop-up institution, Artscape. For “the year we
didn’t have a theme” we encourage
artists and festival-goers to embrace Artscape for what it is – a
fully accessible, 100% FREE, world-class

arts festival – right here in the heart of Baltimore City."
http://www.artscape.org/applications

Scope: I read the submission guidelines for individuals or groups of
artists.  The festival is city-run and money is provided for exhibits
between $5,000-25,000.  This involves a budget and a signed contract.
I am attaching both the proposal guidelines and the budget template
forms.

Note that there is a separate category for arts related nonprofit
organizations defined as:
"Non-Profit and Arts/Cultural Organizations
Non-profit and Arts/Cultural Organizations that support the visual or
performing arts in Baltimore and the surrounding region can apply for
exhibition
space at the festival. Groups have the opportunity to reach thousands
of festival-goers; therefore, they are encouraged to use the exhibit
space as a marketing and promotional tool. Eligible nonprofits include
arts-related regionally-based cultural institutions, arts-related
cultural resources and arts-related
educational institutions."
http://www.artscape.org/applications

I think this definition may be too narrow for NFB, but I would welcome
other interpretations.

Now I will offer the following for discussion:

1. Does anyone wish to contribute art?

2. I am happy to take the lead on writing and submitting the proposal.
However, I m a scientist, and I would

welcome an artist collaborator.  If time permits, I would also make
the draft proposal available for comment via

this list.

3. I know there is some contact between NFB staff and the office that
oversees ArtScape.  If advisable, we

could use that pre-existing relationship to support our proposal.

4. If there is significant response to these items, I would plan to
begin work on the proposal in January and

I would attend the public information session offered to answer
questions about proposal submissions.

Now let the discussion begin.

--
Cheryl Fogle-Hatch, Ph.D.