[TAGS] Introducint Myself and Expressing Interest in Tactile Graphics

Tina Hansen th404 at comcast.net
Tue May 15 20:22:04 UTC 2018

My name is Tina Hansen, and I'm pleased to become a part of the discussion
on tactile graphics.

Since I've been working on this Mount Everest project for our state's BELL
program, I've really gotten interested in this whole thing on tactile art
and tactile graphics.

I'm interested in discussing issues related to how to present tactile
graphics effectively to a blind/visually impaired person, whether it be a
student or anyone.

One thing this project has helped me realize is the challenge when a blind
person is faced with a tactile graphic. How is the individual able to make
sense of the graphic? I know that I needed to order a set of world maps
produced by the American Printing House for the Blind. This map set is
excellent, but there are some isues. The key it supplies is valuable, but
there is no real context.

I am blind myself, and I do have some understanding of geography, but I do
recognize that this map set's major limitation is the lack of real context
commentary. I understand that APH has a map of the US that seems to have
come up with a solution to this issue, and I'd love to see more of this kind
of solution that combines the Braille map with audio so the blind person
doesn't need to depend on a live commentator.

I've also gotten interested in the potential of 3-d technology and 3-d
printing. My team and I have been experimenting with using audio tools to
annotate 3-d models, since we have one of Mount Everest.

I recognize that there is no one perfect solution to presenting or
interpreting tactile graphics, but my hope is that we can engage in dialog
and work on how to address the issues relating to tactile art and graphics.
Thanks.