[TAGS] Tactile art and COVID-19

Keri Svendsen keribcu at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 13:16:53 UTC 2020

Hey Mike,

First I hope this email finds you well. I think wipes/a spray may be
acceptable, but the question becomes how hard are the chemicals on the
material. Perhaps art will need to be tested after creation or during
stages by artists.

I don't know how well gloves would or wouldn't work, but that is also
something that could be tested too.

On 3/12/2020 9:05 AM, Mike Kolitsky via TAGS wrote:
> Hi everyone, I just received news that an art show in NYC to which I
> had some tactile art works accepted for entry was delayed due to the
> COVID-19 pandemic and the need to think about bringing large groups of
> people together.  That led to my thinking about how one can make
> tactile art so that it can be touched safely, i.e., that each touch is
> on a sterile or cleaned surface.  Can tactile art be sprayed with a
> lysol-like cleanser between touching episodes or can art be designed
> to be touched with surgical gloves?  Can Braille be read with surgical
> gloves on the reader's hands?  I did a quick search on "tactile art
> and COVID-19" and found that the Exploratorium in San Francisco has
> temporarily closed the "Tactile Dome". Any thoughts about how to make
> art or objects for public touching safe from passage of COVID-19 from
> one person to another?
>
> Mike
>
> Michael A. Kolitsky, Ph.D.
> CEO