[TAGS] Tactile Art Teach-in (NYC, March 23-25) Application

Abigale Stangl astangl at uw.edu
Wed Mar 1 17:05:21 UTC 2023

TAGs members!
I hope everybody is doing well!
Below are details announced by Chancet Fleet about an exciting opportunity
at the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library (March 23-25) to
develop tactile art skills and reconnect with a community interested in
creating non-visually and accessing art through touch. If interested,
complete this application. Tactile Art Teach-in Application (google.com)
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdB-q2xMqfVzx5Ltu-9KxkbqaGaWW3WuTwcdJ6oGxldupAAJg/viewform__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!jcsBBsI39tDyuNkIA0ig7KLDYry8CaMShZ3c8T1dkSajhSPN2BYNkrZH0DDJrhTrbbw42p8f_d0AH62sz0qE$>
Cheers, Abby

Tactile Art Teach-in - Application
March 23-25, 2022
In person at the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library
New York, NY 10011
Teaching Team: Ann Cunningham, Chancey Fleet, Danielle Montour, Lauren
Race, Minh Ha, Marco Salsiccia, Ka Li
A lot of information follows: please read it carefully, and reach out if
you have questions by emailing Chanceyfleet at nypl.org or calling (347)
632-8383.
No prior experience is required, and all supplies you'll need will be
provided.
We're excited to welcome participants as well as volunteers. If you choose
to apply as a volunteer, you'll be invited to a Zoom orientation before the
teach-in begins. Volunteers, depending on their experience, can help with
logistical support, hands-on activities and prep work.

All sessions will run from 9:15 AM to 5 PM. On Thursday March 23 and Friday
the 24th, we'll focus on tactile drawing techniques. Participants will
explore using the Sensational Blackboard, a versatile tool for drawing a
raised line using regular paper and pens. We'll cover core concepts
including line quality, effective practices for tactile drawing and
legibility, point of perception, proportion, overlap and obscuration,
perspective, drawing with emotion, and more. Participants can also choose
from breakout sessions focusing on map exploration, embroidery, coloring
pages and Lego build diagrams.
On Saturday March 25, we'll shift our focus to exploring tactile art and
graphics with accessible and collaborative digital workflows. We'll begin
with an overview of tactile graphic creation processes (including
embossing, swellform, thermoform, 3D printing, cutting machine and
embroidery machine) along with their pros and cons. From there, we'll
highlight ways to find existing tactile graphics and images online, methods
for preparing images to work well as tactile media, and ways to bring your
ideas to life in digital form. Participants will learn about collaborative
workflows for Blind and sighted designers working together, as well as
options for Blind designers working alone. We'll demo collaborative work
with mainstream CAD programs, the accessible TactileView program, and
hand-coding images with SVG. Participants are encouraged to bring a laptop
for our digital day, although the library also has laptops to loan.
On Sunday March 26, participants may choose to join up with the group for
accessible museum tours (destinations to be announced later).
Thank you for applying! You'll hear back from us within a week of your
submission

--
Abigale Stangl, Ph.D.
CRA Computing Innovation Postdoctoral Fellow