[Tall-Corn] Very sad Federation news

Scott Van Gorp svangorp at nfbi.org
Sun Feb 3 22:14:07 UTC 2019

Good Afternoon Fellow Federationists:

I am writing to share President Riccobono's note below regarding the passing
of a dear friend, mentor,  and colleague  in the federation, Rachel Olivero.
This is a tremendous shock to  many of us who have known and worked with her
in various capacities. Some of the affiliate presidents, including me, had
the chance to interact with her the weekend before Washington Seminar, so
this is especially difficult for many of us. I will  share more details  as
I receive them. Please keep Rachel's family, and her partner Karen Anderson,
in your thoughts and prayers. As President Riccobono mentions, some of her
most recent work in the Federation, especially the newly launched website,
will be some   of her most well-known for some time to come. See  below.
Thank you, and let's continue to keep the Federation strong, especially in
times such as this.

Dear Federation Family,

It is with deep shock and a strong sadness that I share the news with you
that our friend, mentor, and colleague Rachel Olivero passed away very
suddenly late last evening. I have known Rachel for nearly twenty of her
thirty-six years and I have felt the significant impact she has made on the
lives of so many people especially within the National Federation of the
Blind.

I wanted each of you to know as soon as possible. Details of funeral
arrangements will be coming in the following days. I would ask you to join
with me in keeping Rachel's family especially her partner Karen Anderson in
your thoughts and prayers.

Within our movement a core value we share is love. That we open our hearts
to each other is what makes our work together so meaningful. That we open
our hearts to each other also means that we feel the pain in a real way when
we experience a loss in our family especially one as bright and powerful as
Rachel Olivero. Thank you for your openness to the bond that we share
together.

Many have asked how they can help in this time of loss and I know that your
support is much appreciated. If needs arise, you can be certain you will be
called upon.

For now, I invite you to keep the impact that Rachel played in your life
close to your heart. Considering the significant work that she did behind
the scenes for our organization, if you had no direct experience with her,
you can be sure that you have utilized a tool that she helped build for us.

Sincerely,

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

 <https://nfb.org/> National Federation of the Blind

<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind> Facebook
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice> Twitter
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind> Youtube

 <mailto:svangorp at nfbi.org> Email

 <http://www.nfbi.org/> Website

<https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-Of-the-Blind-Of-Iowa-372681823
082570/posts> Facebook
 <https://twitter.com/nfb_iowa> Twitter
Live the life you want.

The National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day
we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.