[Tall-Corn] Washington Seminar, National Convention, and more news!

Scott Van Gorp svangorp at nfbi.org
Sun Jan 20 04:49:15 UTC 2019

I'm resending this as it appears some may not have gotten it. It went from
the wrong address and Google rejected it. I apologize if you get it twice.

Hello Fellow Federationists:

It's time to get you ready for exciting times in the Federation. We have
reminders about the issues for Washington Seminar, information about the
upcoming national convention, and more. Let's get started.

I am excited to announce that we have six people going to Washington Seminar
this year. I had a call with them this week to get them prepared, and we
have one more scheduled next week to make sure everything is ready to go.
The State of the Union address may have changed the schedule up a bit for
the Congressional reception, which has been moved to the Holiday Inn
Capitol, but that change hasn't dampened the group's enthusiasm or our
ability to get appointments with all of our representatives and both of our
senators. I can't wait to see what accomplishments we'll get out of this
year's trip to Capitol Hill.

If you need a refresher on the legislative issues, or if you want to take a
look at the fact sheets, you can find those at

https://nfb.org/2019-legislative-agenda

It's time to think about the upcoming convention of the National Federation
of the Blind from July 7th through the 12th. The room block is now open, so
get your reservations in early. I have pasted the link where you can get the
latest information on convention including how to contact the hotel, room
rates, and much more!

https://nfb.org/convention/2019

In other news, the governor has released her budget proposal for fiscal
years 2020 and 2021. As you know, Director Wharton has asked for an increase
in the budget for the Iowa Department for the Blind to hire another teacher
for the Independent Living program. I am pleased to report that the governor
has submitted the amount of $2,247,499 for the Iowa Department for the
Blind, which is in line with Director Wharton's request. Our work is not
done here since the budget must first be approved by the legislature before
the Department can hire a new teacher. I will keep you posted on the budget
process as more information becomes available. We must be prepared to
support the Departments request since it will help to make services
available to more blind Iowans.

I have received word that Joe Van Lent is up for reappointment to the
commission for the blind board. While the National Federation of the Blind
of Iowa is not able to endorse specific candidates to the commission board,
we as individuals can and should write letters of support for candidates
that we feel will best serve the blind of Iowa. Mr. Van Lent has served on
the commission board for a number of years, and I personally feel he has
served the blind of Iowa well and would continue to do so. If you wish to
write letters of support for Mr. Van Lent, or other candidates who may be
considered, please get your letters to Nick Boeyink as soon as possible. Mr.
Boeyink's email address is

Nick.boeyink at iowa.gov

Many of us will be travelling out of Iowa over the coming days. I will be
going to Baltimore January 25th through the 27th for an affiliate presidents
seminar focusing on newer presidents. I look forward to building new
networking relationships and strengthening other ones with many of the
leaders of the movement. Others will be going to Washington Seminar and
various student activities in Washington D.C. and Baltimore. We hope to
bring back fresh ideas and perspectives to further the cause here in Iowa.
In the meantime, let's go build the National Federation of the Blind!

Cordially:

 <mailto:svangorp at nfbi.org> Email

 <http://www.nfbi.org/> Website

<https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-Of-the-Blind-Of-Iowa-372681823
082570/posts> Facebook
 <https://twitter.com/nfb_iowa> Twitter
Live the life you want.

The National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day
we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.