[Tall-Corn] FW: Another Casting Disaster – It’s Time to Act!

Scott Van Gorp svangorp at nfbi.org
Tue Mar 19 02:02:52 UTC 2019

Please see the call to action below!

 <mailto:svangorp at nfbi.org> Email

 <http://www.nfbi.org/> Website
 <https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-Of-the-Blind-Of-Iowa-372681823082570/posts> Facebook
 <https://twitter.com/nfb_iowa> Twitter
Live the life you want.

The National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

Another Casting Disaster. It's Time to Act!

Dozens of movies and TV shows featuring blind characters, usually offensively or inaccurately, have been produced and not one of them featured a blind actor in the lead role. An upcoming television series, “In the Dark,” that is scheduled to premiere in April tells a story of a blind woman. The actor who plays this leading role is NOT blind.

Blind characters need to be played by blind people. We are launching an ongoing effort to engage with the entertainment industry to work proactively with us to identify and develop the talent of blind actors rather than focusing on casting sighted actors under cover of the spurious claim that blind talent cannot be found.

Join this quest to create change.

*	Connect with us if you have ever been discouraged from being an actor or performer. Email your story to cdanielsen at nfb.org.
*	Share the national press release with your local media such as newspapers - https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/blind-americans-protest-refusal-entertainment-industry-cast-them
*	Share your thoughts on social media using the hashtag #LetUsPlayUs

The shameful history of Hollywood defining us without our participation ends now. Together with love, hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality by ending this discrimination.

Act today!

 <https://nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=14000&qid=2640654> Facebook Logo

 <https://nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=14001&qid=2640654> Twitter Logo

 <https://nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=14002&qid=2640654> Instagram Logo

 <https://nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=14003&qid=2640654> YouTube Logo

 <https://nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=14004&qid=2640654> Email IconImage

 <https://nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=14005&qid=2640654> Donate to the NFB Icon.

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD 21230 | (410) 659-9314

 <https://www.nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=11932&qid=2640654&h=32540cc295003cae> Unsubscribe |  <https://www.nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=11932&qid=2640654&h=32540cc295003cae> Opt Out |   <https://nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=14006&qid=2640654> Sign up for email newsletter

200 E WELLS ST
BALTIMORE, MD 21230-4850
United States

..