[Tall-Corn] 2019 convention letter and registration information

Scott Van Gorp svangorp at nfbi.org
Tue Oct 1 03:19:21 UTC 2019

Good Evening:

Here I am again with more information. I have attached the convention letter
and registration form. I have also pasted the information below for your
convenience in case the attachments don't work.

Greetings, Fellow Federationists:

It is time for the annual National Federation of the Blind of Iowa state
convention to be held October 25-October 27, 2019 at the Holiday Inn Hotel &
Suites, Des Moines Northwest, at 4800 Merle Hay Road, Des Moines, Iowa
50322.  This year's convention will be packed with information and fun! We
are honored to have Julie Deden, Director of the Colorado Center for the
Blind, serve as our National representative on behalf of President Mark A.
Riccobono.

Committees for the 2019 convention:

Nominating committee chair: Bob Ray

Resolutions committee chair: Michael Barber

Audit committee chair: Karen Clayton

Convention coordinator and Convention committee chair: Cindy Ray

We have several open positions on the affiliate board of directors this
year. We will be electing two 2 year terms. We also need to fill the
position currently held by Tai Tomasi for a 1 year term. Finally, the
position of first Vice President is open for a 1 year term. People
interested in any of these positions should contact nominating committee
chair Bob ray at rjray at q.com <mailto:rjray at q.com> .

Registration information

Once again this year we have online registration and we would prefer
registration be done online, but as usual you can still mail in your
registration along with your check to: NFBI, P.O. Box 93071, Des Moines, IA
50393. To get the discounted rate of $83 per night at the Holladay Inn, you
must register for the convention, and by pre-registering you will help us
give a more accurate count to the hotel.

What are the perks for pre-registering for the state convention? The biggest
perk is you save $5 off the cost of each food event you attend and the
registration fee, plus you won't have to wait in a longer line when picking
up your packet. Don't delay and miss out on the savings, and pre-register
and pay for the convention no later than October 15, 2019. After October 15,
2019 all prices go up by $5.00.

<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/national-federation-of-the-blind-of-iowa-2019-
annual-convention-tickets-74581105093> Click here to submit your convention
registration online

You can also paste the following URL in your browser. Please note it does
wrap to a second line,

<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/national-federation-of-the-blind-of-iowa-2019-
annual-convention-tickets-74581105093?aff=utm_source%3Deb_email%26utm_medium
%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dnew_event_email&utm_term=eventurl_text>
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/national-federation-of-the-blind-of-iowa-2019-a
nnual-convention-tickets-74581105093

I have also pasted the convention registration form at the end of this
letter.

Hotel information

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Des Moines Northwest, 4800 Merle Hay Road, Des
Moines, Iowa 50322.

Hotel room rates this year will be $83.00 plus tax per night for standard
and king-sized rooms.  When reserving your room, please mention the below
information:

Group Name:  NFBI National Fed Blind of Iowa

Group Code:  NFB

Reservations Deadline: October 10, 2019

To Reserve:

Call: 515-278-4755 or 800-HOLIDAY (800-465-4329)

Click to:   <http://www.holidayinn.com/desmoinesia>
www.holidayinn.com/desmoinesia  and use the 3-letter code above.

Meetings and events

The Iowa Diabetes Action Network will hold its annual face-to-face meeting
from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM on Friday with registration beginning at 12:30
outside the meeting room.  Registration is $5.

The At Large Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa will
hold its annual face-to-face meeting at 3:00 p.m., Friday, October 25, 2019.
Chapter dues will be collected and they are $5. Registration begins at 2:30
outside the room.

The annual face-to-face meeting of the Iowa Association of Blind Students
will be Friday October 25, 2019 from 3:00pm-5:00pm

Their business meeting will begin at 3:00 where they will have dynamic
speakers that will help determine what the future of the movement looks
like. They hope you can make it and they can't wait to meet you! Their dues
are $5 and will be taken at the door.

Convention registration will be open from 3:00-6:45 p.m. on Friday, October
25, and will resume Saturday, October 26, from 7:30-8:45 a.m.

We are working on a possible technology event for Friday morning, so stay
tuned for more details!

A meet and greet reception will take place from 5:15-6:45 on Friday October
25, 2019.  Cost is $25 if purchased by October 15 2019, and $30 if purchased
after October 15 2019.

The Resolutions Committee will consider resolutions at 7:00 p.m. on Friday
evening. Submit resolutions electronically to Chair Michael Barber at
m.barber817 at gmail.com <mailto:m.barber817 at gmail.com>     by October 19,
2019. You may also bring resolutions in final Braille and written form to
the committee meeting as long as there is provided an electronic version by
the deadline above.

Friday evening will also have hospitality hosted by the Iowa Association of
Blind Students. It promises to be a night of fun you don't want to miss!

Saturday morning Come to the President's breakfast from 7:00am- 8:00am - $25
if purchased by October 15, $30 if purchased after that date.

8:00am - 8:45am join the board of directors for the annual face to face
board meeting. All are welcome to attend.

9:00am - 12:00pm and 2:00pm - 5:00pm will be our general sessions. You won't
want to miss our National report from Julie Deden, the National Federation
of the Blind of Iowa presidential report, Iowa Department for the Blind
update from director Emily Wharton, National student report, and much more!

We will have a lunch on Saturday from 12:00-1:45 PM and the cost is $25.00
if purchased by October 15, and $30.00 after that date. This time will be
filled with good food, good fellowship, and more!

Saturday evening will be the annual Banquet of the National Federation of
the Blind of Iowa. Julie Deden will deliver this year's banquet address, and
our very own Mike Harvey, President of the Des Moines Chapter of the
National federation of the Blind of Iowa, will be the Master of Ceremonies.
The banquet is $40.00 before October 15th, and $45.00 after that date.

The convention planning committee will be hosting hospitality following the
banquet. We hope to see you there!

Sunday, October 27, 2019 - 8:00am-8:45am

 Start your Sunday off right with a short morning devotional. All are
welcome!

Our annual business session will take place Sunday from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.

Look for more convention information as it becomes available through our
various communications channels.

I look forward to greeting you at this year's National Federation of the
Blind of Iowa state convention!

Sincerely,

PRE-REGISTRATION FORM FOR the 2019

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF IOWA CONVENTION

Complete this form and have it postmarked no later than October 15, 2019
with your check payable to the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa ,
to: NFBI, P.O. Box 93071, Des Moines, IA  50393.

NAME:  _______________

ADDRESS:  ____________________

CITY:  ______                                     STATE:) ____  ZIP: _____

PHONE #: (___)____-__________  E-MAIL:  ______________________

Preferred agenda type _____Braille _____Large print_____ electronic

Are you a Parent of a blind child? ______ Yes _______No?

Would you like us to add your email to our tall-corn mailing list
automatically? ____Yes ______no

Are you a student? _____Yes _________ No

What chapter do you belong to? _________________________________________

Please check your age bracket _____Under 18 _____18-30 _____31-50

_____51-65 _____66+

Please inform us of any food allergies or dietary restrictions as soon as
possible so that we can endeavor to meet these requests.

The enclosed check for $___.__ covers my following costs: (Check all costs
that apply in Column 1 below.)

COST FOR

PAID before October 15, 2019

PAID after October 15, 2019

___Convention Registration

$20

$25

___ Meet and Greet                 reception  Friday night

$25

$30

___Saturday President's Buffet breakfast

$25

$30

___Saturday Luncheon

$25

$30

___Convention Banquet

$40

$45

Maximum Total Cost

$135

$160

 <mailto:svangorp at nfbi.org> Email

 <http://www.nfbi.org/> Website

<https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-Of-the-Blind-Of-Iowa-372681823
082570/posts> Facebook
 <https://twitter.com/nfb_iowa> Twitter
Live the life you want.

The National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day
we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.