[Tall-Corn] National Convention update

Scott Van Gorp svangorp at nfbi.org
Mon Mar 30 01:50:31 UTC 2020

Good Evening Federation Family:

Below is a reply that John Berggren sent to a message on the NFB conventions
list setting the record straight about our upcoming national convention as
it stands now. This information was reiterated on tonight's leadership call.
Please reach out if there are any questions.

 <mailto:svangorp at nfbi.org> Email

 <http://www.nfbi.org/> Website

<https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-Of-the-Blind-Of-Iowa-372681823
082570/posts> Facebook
 <https://twitter.com/nfb_iowa> Twitter
Live the life you want.

The National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day
we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

Good morning Federationists,

I want to thank Ms. Luther for expressing the concerns that I'm certain many
of us are feeling. The daily headlines are filled with constantly changing
news about the spread of the Coronavirus and the work being done to contain
and minimize its impact. Here is what I can tell you about national
convention.

As of right now with July still several months away, we remain committed to
holding convention in Houston as scheduled. I have been speaking with the
folks at the Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau as well as the staff at
the Hilton Americas hotel on a weekly basis to get their feedback. President
Riccobono is evaluating the circumstances on an ongoing basis with the
leadership of our organization. Our National Convention is our most
important event of the year, but of course the health and safety of our
membership is of the utmost concern.

An increasing number of state governors across the country, Texas included,
have issued executive orders closing non-essential businesses and
encouraging residents to limit their travel. Many states have also deployed
their national guards to assist with the COVID-19 response at hospitals and
testing centers. If these strategies are successful in "flattening the
curve," we may find that the environment across the country becomes more
hospitable to holding our convention as scheduled.

I can assure you that should National Convention take place this July the
hotel will be fully staffed and ready to host us with a level of service
that is consistent with our expectations. We are planning for an outstanding
convention and intend to deliver exactly that.

I do expect that before this week is out our online registration form will
be back up and running. The hiccups we initially encountered with our new
web platform appear to have been ironed out. Stay tuned for confirmation
that registration is indeed again available. Please also make your hotel
reservations with the confidence that, should convention dates change in any
way, we will ensure that room deposits can be fully refunded.

The landscape is changing every day. The National Federation of the Blind
will remain flexible and respond to these changes in ways that make sense
for our organization and our fellow members. Continue to look for updates on
our website, our email lists, and through social media.

Kind regards,

John

John Berggren

Executive Director, Operations

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314, extension 2329 | jberggren at nfb.org
<mailto:jberggren at nfb.org>