[Tall-Corn] Covid 19 update

Scott Van Gorp svangorp at nfbi.org
Mon Mar 30 02:19:48 UTC 2020

Good Evening Federation Family:

I wanted to reach out with some reminders and additional information as we
work through the Covid-19 pandemic together. First, let me remind you of a
page that has great Federation and other resources. This is also a great
place to get educational ideas since our education team at the national
level has also posted resources off of that page for several distance
learning ideas. You can find all of this information at

http://www.nfb.org/covid19

If students have questions, the Iowa Association of Blind Students is here
to help. You can reach the division president, Katy Olsen, at
president.iabs at gmail.com <mailto:president.iabs at gmail.com>

I also received an update on the free white cane program. There will be
weekly shipments of canes going out starting this Tuesday, March 31. If you
have placed an order for one folks will be working to clear the backlog as
soon as possible on a weekly basis at this time. If you need one, please
feel free to fill out the form or get more information at

https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/free-white-cane-program

and your name will be added to the list.

If you or someone you know is blind and has transportation needs due to lack
of access, please get in touch with me as soon as possible. The Federation
and Lyft have joined forces to make a limited number of rides available
through March 31.

Now, on to a bit of sad news. The Federation has lost what we believe to be
its first member to Covid-19. It was reported today that Robert Gates from
the Washington D.C affiliate passed away due to complications from Covid-19.
Our thoughts go out to his family and the D.C. affiliate. We know that there
are others throughout the country dealing with the effects of the virus, and
some are not in the best of shape. Please keep everyone in your thoughts and
prayers as we all continue to deal with this through the coming days and
weeks.

I'm sure more information will be coming out in the next few days as to what
will happen with in-person gatherings and other events in the month of
April. Stay tuned! In the meantime, stay healthy, and let's all go build the
National Federation of the Blind of Iowa!

 <mailto:svangorp at nfbi.org> Email

 <http://www.nfbi.org/> Website

<https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-Of-the-Blind-Of-Iowa-372681823
082570/posts> Facebook
 <https://twitter.com/nfb_iowa> Twitter
Live the life you want.

The National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day
we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.