[Tall-Corn] National Federation of the Blind of Iowa Affiliate Update January 13, 2021

Scott Van Gorp svangorp at nfbi.org
Thu Jan 14 04:05:01 UTC 2021

Good Evening Federation Family:

In light of recent events within the blindness community and discussions
surrounding the Code of Conduct, several members throughout the affiliate
have approached me and other leaders with questions that I would like to
address at this time. The questions have surrounded allegations regarding
one specific individual in the affiliate.

After coordinating with our national president earlier this week, I am
sharing the following information in an effort to be as transparent as
possible. A grievance has been filed under the Code of Conduct of the
National Federation of the Blind against Michael Harvey. This grievance is
still going through the Code of Conduct process, and I have not received any
additional information. In the meantime, Michael has been advised not to
participate in Federation activities while this grievance is pending.

If there are general questions about the Code of Conduct process, you may
visit

https://www.nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct

or you can send an email to

code at nfb.org <mailto:code at nfb.org>  or call 410-659-9314, extension 2475.

In addition, you may see stories in media outlets throughout the country and
here in Iowa. We are not commenting on any specific individuals or
incidents.

We in the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa stand with survivors and
are doing everything we can to prevent incidents from happening to others
while ensuring a safe space for survivors voices to be heard. We support the
efforts of the survivor task force and look forward to the changes  that
will be implemented by our national organization in partnership with RAINN
as well as from recommendations from the task force.

In the meantime, as President Riccobono alluded to in his Presidential
release on January4, we need to keep moving forward while continuing to deal
with these issues in a compassionate and constructive manner. I look forward
to seeing where we go from here. Let's consider where we've been, look at
where we are now, and continue to look forward to the future to put these
issues behind us and make the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa a
safe place for all. To borrow the title of a recent newsletter, Federation
Forward!

 <mailto:svangorp at nfbi.org> Email

 <http://www.nfbi.org/> Website

<https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-Of-the-Blind-Of-Iowa-372681823
082570/posts> Facebook
 <https://twitter.com/nfb_iowa> Twitter
Live the life you want.

The National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day
we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.