[Tall-Corn] Zip lining, go carting and advocacy

bkpollpeter at gmail.com bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 19:51:43 UTC 2021

This is very frustrating, and most of us have experienced something along these lines at some point in time. However, I would let them know they are not ADA compliant, and legally, they do have to allow you to participate.
My husband and I are both blind, and we have not done A rope course, but we recently did wall climbing with another blind family. It was an amazing experience, and no one had a problem with blind people doing it, nor were they weird during the training before we started. There is also never a concern that the two blind couples could not assist and supervise our children. We will definitely go back.
i really caution not using ableist stereotypes as comparisons when dealing with these experiences however. Mentioning that people who use wheelchairs are allowed to do it, and that you have the use of your legs, and therefore should be able to do it, implies that you are better off than someone using a wheelchair, more capable, et cetera. This is ableist and dismissive of those with other disabilities. When we are talking about and dealing with discrimination and ableism, we should be careful that the language we use is not equally offensive and dismissive of others experiences/abilities.

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter )she/hers(
 Sent from my iPhone