[Tall-Corn] Updates from NABS

Scott Van Gorp svangorp at nfbi.org
Thu Jan 6 03:39:05 UTC 2022

Good evening Federation Family:

I am pasting the below information from our NABS liaison. Pleas take a look
at what the students are doing, and if you're especially interested in the
Midwest student seminar, please register and reach out to me if you need
anything in regards to that. Here's the seminar registration link

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1UVfWRuxJJRxqvCpARlhANdhsDVjrUzaV3dP9xaPR_QM
/edit

NABS Notes - December 2021

"Instead of worrying about what you cannot control, shift your energy to
what you can create." -Roy T. Bennett

Welcome to the December edition of our NABS Notes! We know that 2021 has
been a year jam packed with online events, hybrid adjustments, and shifting
realities, and the month of December has been no less eventful. Just in case
you missed something in and amongst the busyness of finals, we invite you to
utilize this collection of resources in order to catch up on the latest NABS
news. So, take some time to read up on all things new and exciting in our
student movement, and reach out to anyone in NABS leadership with questions.
Read on to learn more about our upcoming events and updates from committees.
In this edition you will find:

.A Message from the Board

.Announcing the 2022 NABS Midwest Student Seminar

.December Blog Post

.December Episode of the NABS Now Podcast

.Committee Updates

. Special Washington Seminar Preparations

.Stay Connected | NABS Social Media

2022, Here We Come!

As this year quickly draws to a close, we in NABS are swelling with pride
over all that our members have accomplished throughout 2021. From navigating
the ever-changing landscape of education to making the most of virtual
programming through the National Federation of the Blind, we want to
congratulate you on your determination during such a unique time. We hope
that with the holiday season comes the time and space necessary to relax,
reflect, and rejuvenate.

Our NABS leadership can promise that you will need your energy as we enter
2022 with many exciting opportunities on the horizon. Aside from a hybrid
Washington Seminar and the prospect of an in-person National Convention,
NABS will be starting the year strong with a wide array of calls and the
return of multiple regional seminars. Particularly, please note the
following items:

1.          We will be returning to an in-person NABS Winter Seminar, taking
place on the morning of Monday, February 7, 2022, for those in attendance of
the 2022 Washington Seminar. We are hoping to also live stream the event or
otherwise have a way to participate virtually.

2.          After the great success of our 2021 virtual auction, we have
decided to keep this fundraiser online to reach as many people as possible.
Get ready to start bidding in just a few short weeks!

Announcing the 2022 NABS Midwest Student Seminar

We in NABS are thrilled to inform you that you can now register for the 2022
Midwest Student Seminar, taking place in the great state of Illinois at the
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare Area, from March 18-20, 2022.

As many of you know, this will be one of our first National Association of
Blind Students in-person events since the beginning of the COVID-19
pandemic, and we are ecstatic to gather with some of our NABS family once
again. The ever-changing state of our world over the last two years has been
an immensely difficult time for many, and we hope that this year's seminar,
fittingly entitled "Back in Action," provides attendees with the opportunity
to learn and grow alongside many students from across the region who find
themselves in similar situations.

The registration link for our event is below, and we invite you to get
registered anytime between now and the closing of our registration window on
Tuesday, February 15, 2022 at 11:59 PM CST; however, we would like to point
out just a few things before you let excitement get the best of you.

.Each attendee is responsible for a $100 registration fee, payable to NABS,
which will cover meals throughout the weekend as well as administrative
expenses necessary to support this event. We encourage you to proactively
reach out to your vocational rehabilitation agency and/or National
Federation of the Blind state affiliate to help offset this expense. This
fee is due by the time registration closes on Tuesday, February 15, 2022 at
11:59 PM CST. Until we receive both your registration form response and this
fee, your spot is not guaranteed.

.Please note that all attendees will need to submit proof of a negative
COVID test within 60 hours of our event's start, regardless of vaccination
status. This proof will need to be submitted to a designated party no later
than noon on Friday, March 18, 2022. Additionally, masks will be required
during any/all 2022 Midwest Student Seminar activities.

.Finally, we will not be assigning roommates for this event. We are more
than happy to support you in finding a roommate if you require assistance,
which you can indicate on the registration form linked below; however, if
you do not either take the initiative to procure a roommate or reach out for
assistance, you will be responsible for the hotel expense of $109 +
applicable taxes and fees for each night of the event.

Please take the time to
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfUi2Noe4-pgRm2s56uClV_pA2ZfTbF8bn
B99UfO2Vrf17LWg/viewform?usp=sf_link> get registered for the 2022 Midwest
Student Seminar, and let the excitement begin!

December Blog Post | Accessibility Barriers in Digital Forensics

If you've ever felt discouraged by inaccessibility, you'll be able to
empathize with this month's
<https://nabslink.org/blogs/accessibility-barriers-digital-forensics> blog
post, written by Emily Kiehl. Read on to better understand how we as
students can both gain experience and collect information on our chosen
fields of study that could carry a great impact on future blind students.

December Episode of the NABS Now Podcast | Setting Yourself Apart - Building
Soft Skills

This episode is all about soft skills. Building on our previous
conversations about careers, we discuss why soft skills are important and
how to gain them. We also offer tips for marketing your soft skills to
schools and employers. It's a must listen for anyone who wants to stand out
in an application pool since soft skills are what can set you apart.

Thank you to special guest Anthony Goettl.

Created and produced by Nina Marranca, Seyoon Choi, and Kinshuk Tella.

Are you interested in assisting with the planning and production of the NABS
Now Podcast? Email Nina at:  <mailto:ninam0814 at gmail.com>
ninam0814 at gmail.com for more information.

Find us on Spotify <https://open.spotify.com/show/47rJlZrFHD4EIqvgLRNhHM> ,
<https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nabs-now-podcast/id1507437256?uo=4>
Apple Podcasts,
<https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9hbmNob3IuZm0vcy8xYWRjNWZmNC9wb2
RjYXN0L3Jzcw==%20> Google Podcasts, or see  <https://anchor.fm/nabs-now%20>
our Anchor page for more ways to listen!

Committee Updates

The Start of 2022 = Outreach & You!

Please join us for our next committee call, taking place on Sunday, January
9 at 8 PM EST, and  <mailto:ninam0814 at gmail.com> reach out to committee
chair Nina Marranca with questions on how to get further involved.

The Most Wonderful time of the Year

Happy holiday wishes from the NABS Fundraising Committee! We in fundraising
are celebrating by working to procure donation items for our annual NABS
auction, taking place in concurrence with the 2022 Washington Seminar. If
you, your affiliate, a generous business/organization in your community, or
a friend or family member is interested in donating an item, please reach
out!

A huge thank you to all those who have donated already; we greatly
appreciate all the support and generosity. We also encourage you to remember
that if you don't get all you want this holiday season, you can always drop
in on the 2022 NABS auction, where, odds are, you can bid on the item of
your dreams.

Please join us for our next committee call, taking place on Sunday, January
9 at 9 PM EST, and  <mailto:stenzellogan at gmail.com> reach out to committee
chair Logan Stenzel with questions on how to get further involved.

Reflections Geared Toward Growth

The NABS Legislative and Self-Advocacy Committee had a wonderful time
reflecting on members' successes of 2021 and voicing some goals/intentions
for 2022 on our December committee call. While we understand the prospect of
making progress on self-improvement can be intimidating, we hope to support
all committee members in this effort in 2022. Together, we as a community
can not only improve ourselves, but also continue our efforts of changing
what it means to be blind each and every day.

Please join us for our next committee call, taking place on Sunday, January
16 at 8 PM EST, and  <mailto:elizabethrouse.nfb at gmail.com> reach out to
committee chair Elizabeth Rouse with questions on how to get further
involved.

New Year, New Opportunities

Please join the NABS Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee for our next
committee call, taking place on Sunday, January 16 at 9 PM EST, and
<mailto:robert.e.parsons at wmich.edu> reach out to committee chair Robert
Parsons with questions on how to get further involved.

. And don't forget our monthly NABS Sound Board, taking place on Sunday,
January 23 at 9 PM EST!

Special Washington Seminar Preparations

The NABS Legislative and Self-Advocacy Committee invites you to prepare for
the 2022 Washington Seminar with us on Sunday, January 30 at 8 PM EST. A
member of our national office's Governmental Affairs team will be joining us
so that we can learn about this year's legislative priorities and practice
speaking to the importance of these entities from a resident expert. Join us
if you plan to participate in the 2022 Washington Seminar in-person or
virtually, and come with questions, charisma, and curiosity. Please also
note that this call is an addition to our regularly scheduled NABS committee
call, taking place two weeks prior.

Connect with Us | NABS Social Media

Follow us on:

 <https://twitter.com/nabslink?lang=en> Twitter,
<https://gramho.com/profile/nabslink/8395929238> Instagram,
<https://www.facebook.com/Nabspage> like us on Facebook,
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/173482726798026> join our Facebook group, &
email listserv.

 <mailto:svangorp at nfbi.org> Email

 <http://www.nfbi.org/> Website

<https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-Of-the-Blind-Of-Iowa-372681823
082570/posts> Facebook
 <https://twitter.com/nfb_iowa> Twitter
Live the life you want.

The National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day
we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.