[Tall-Corn] Affiliate update - Sandi Ryan

Scott Van Gorp svangorp at nfbi.org
Sat Nov 19 01:13:16 UTC 2022

Good Evening Federation Family:

It is, unfortunately one of those times when I need to pass on sad news to
our affiliate and beyond. After a year-long battle with liver cancer, Sandi
Ryan, one of the hardest working people for the blind of Iowa and the nation
I have ever worked with, passed away early this morning. I will share more
information about service and other details as they are made available.

Sandi has touched the lives of blind people in countless ways. Her work in
the Federation as a member of the Des Moines and the At Large chapters
stands as a testament to her willingness to serve wherever and however she
could. Even though she didn't physically attend meetings in person recently,
her input was as valuable as ever. Her reach didn't stop there. She had also
served in various roles with the Iowa Diabetes Action network and the
Diabetes Action Network on the national level.

Her work with the blind wasn't just in Federation circles, however. She was
a tireless advocate for Braille and the education of blind children. Whether
it was attending IEP meetings or fighting to save the Iowa Braille and Sight
Saving school campus and programs in Vinton, Braille and education were true
passions of hers, and I think we can say we could only do half the work she
did to make sure the blind children of Iowa got the education they deserve
each and every day.

That tireless spirit extended to her work as member and chair of the Iowa
Commission for the Blind board. Her passion and drive to make services for
the blind better for all Iowans is something that will truly be missed!

I could go on about other work she's done, awards she's received, or even
the influence she's had on so many lives, but I'll just say this. It's been
a great joy to call Sandi a fellow Federationist, mentor, and friend. Sandi,
we will miss your personality, your spirit, and your passion to help us all
live the lives we want.

 <mailto:svangorp at nfbi.org> Email

 <http://www.nfbi.org/> Website

<https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-Of-the-Blind-Of-Iowa-372681823
082570/posts> Facebook
 <https://twitter.com/nfb_iowa> Twitter
Live the life you want
The National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day
we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.