[Tall-Corn] Passing of Carl Owens

Dr. Bitrus Gwamna bgwamna at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 00:23:04 UTC 2023

May his soul rest in peace.
Bitrus

-----Original Message-----
From: Tall-Corn <tall-corn-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Julie McCullough
via Tall-Corn
Sent: Saturday, August 5, 2023 2:12 PM
To: tall-corn at nfbnet.org
Cc: Julie McCullough <juliemccullough319 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tall-Corn] Passing of Carl Owens

This is very sad about Carl Owens. I was in Summer School with Carl one
year, and someone, probably Mr. Grupp had him play Reveille to wake us up
every morning. I think he played it on a cornett.

One day, we went to a lake, where some of the guys fished. I don't remember
now, but we might have gotten to go swimming, and I'm sure there was food.
At one point, Carl sat down on the grass and ended up sitting in a cow pie,
and the adults had to come up with some make-shift something to keep him
covered so that he could enjoy the rest of his day. Carl was among those who
went fishing, and he said something about flatheads. I asked him about it,
and after that, he started calling me a female flathead. I just took it as a
memory from the day.

I think that Carl may have had a rather difficult life growing up, but I
think he probably thrived at school and found people who possibly introduced
him to and taught him about Ham Radio, and I imagine he also taught others
about it. It was a wonderful part of his life, and I'm sure it helped him to
get to know people from all over the world. He grew up, ventured out, and
got a job with the Federal Government. I don't know anything about him after
he grew up, but it sounds like he had a good and successful career, and I'm
sure he made friends and kept connections with Ham Radio. May Carl rest in
peace and enjoy many conversations with Ham Radio friends who have gone
before him.