[Tn-talk] The Tennessee Voice- The Voice of Tennessee's Blind, NFB of Tennessee Newsletter, winter 2015

Steve Norman stevenorman4 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 10:27:27 UTC 2015

The Tennessee Voice Volume 1, Winter 2015, Edited by Steve Norman,
Distributed by email and Braille by the National Federation of the Blined of
Tennessee. James Brown, President

4 1 1 3 Tea Garden Way

Antioch, TN 3 7 0 1 3

Telephone:  6 1 5, 4 1 2, 9 6 3 2

email address:   president at nfb, dash tn.org <mailto:president at nfb-tn.org>

website address:  www.nfb dash tn.org

Letters to the president, address changes, and subscription requests should
be sent to

Stevenorman4 at gmail.com.

Articles for the Tennessee Voice and letters to the editor may also be sent

stevenorman4 at gmail.com.

Thank you for your interest and support. By donating to the NFB of Tennessee
, you can help make a significant difference in the lives of blind people
across the great state of Tennessee .

Please make checks payable to NFB of TN and send them to

National Federation of the Blind of Tennessee
4 1 1 3 Tea Garden Way
Antioch, TN 3 7 0 1 3

The National Federation of the Blind of Tennessee is a non-profit
organization of the blind working together to improve the quality of life
for all blind people in Tennessee.

Contents:

Notes From The President and Vice President - James Aaron Brown and James
Alan Boehm

The iPod/iPod Option - Bill Burgess

Through Spouse's Eyes, Part2 "The Decision" - Lenora Norman

Giving Back Gives You More - Lynn Jackson

Christmas for Louise - James Alan Boehm

Tennessee Association of Guide Dog Users (TAGDU( Plans for 2015 - James Alan
Boehm

Tasty Gooey Bars - Wendy Bergman

Notes from the President and Vice President

Hello Federation Friends:

As my family and I were in Memphis this past weekend to celebrate the
birthday of Martin Luther King Jr, we were fortunate enough to visit the
Civil Rights Museum, the place of Dr. Martin Luther King's death. Waiting in
line at one of the exhibits, I heard a young African American lady tell her
son that it was because of what all these people did that we can live the
lifes we live.

I feel much too often blind children and adults are not taught the history
of the struggle of blind people. One place where we can learn this history
is at our state and national conventions. Please make it a priority to
attend convention this year. As Dr. King said, "we must keep moving and
dreaming".

Below you will find a letter from our state secretary with state convention
details.  I hope that you all can make it to Chattanooga.  I expect there
will again this year be many new faces and new people to meet.  There should
be something for just about everyone, and our new National President, Mark
Riccobono, will be our National Representative this year in Chattanooga!

Please read Jimmy's convention details below.  I can't wait to see you at
convention and don't forget to reserve your rooms ASAP.

Your NFBTN President, James Brown

>From Secretary James Boehm:

Dear Members and Friends,

The year has begun and we are preparing for our state convention! It is also
time to renew state dues for the New Year. Dues for 2015 will be $5.00 and
must be to the treasurer by March 1,2015 in order to have a vote at
convention.  Please find details below.

Date:  March 13-15,2015

Where:  Hilton Garden Inn

Hamilton Place

2343 Shallowford Village Drive

Chattanooga, TN.

 Reservations can be made by calling 423-308-4400

The rate is $99.00 per night Plus tax. Please make your reservations as soon
as possible.

When making reservations, ask for the block of rooms for the National
Federation of the Blind of Tennessee.

Convention Registration this year will be $10.00 and banquet Tickets $35.00

All monies should be sent to the treasurer at the address below or turned in
to your local chapter or division president.

NFBTN Treasurer: Evelyn Hogue

1429 Reata Pass

Memphis, TN. 38109

Thank You,

James Boehm

The Ipod/Ipad Option

By Bill Burgess

Note from the Editor: Bill Burgess is the Coordinator for the MTSU Adaptive
Technology Center (ATC(. He shares here his take on the pros and cons of
iDevices.

If you have heard that the iPhone is a blind person's friend, you have heard
correctly. If you have heard that an iPhone is costly, you have also heard
right. The newest iPhone is approximately 200 dollars with a two year
contract at 50 dollars per month minimum. That's exactly why I don't have an
iPhone. They are expensive. What if you could have a lot of the benefits of
the iPhone without the ongoing expense, though? Some people have found that
an iPod Touch or iPad can help them in the same tasks in which an iPhone
excels. The same apps are available to all devices mentioned through Apple's
App Store.

The true difference between the iPhone and iPod Touch is the ability to make
calls and have a cellular data plan. If you want to be able to look up
restaurant information while you ride in a cab, the iPod Touch cannot do
that. You must be connected to a Wi-Fi network in order for the iPod Touch
to search the Internet. However, if the restaurant where you're eating
provides Wi-Fi, you can easily ask the Tap Tap See app what the condiment
sitting in front of you is. You can also check in with Four Square, if
you're interested in social networking, while you update your Facebook
status. iPods and iPads are great for organization, as well. There are many
apps that come pre-installed that will give you access to a screen reader
friendly calendar, email client, voice recorder, notepad, and more. And many
of these functions do not require an Internet connection.

When considering an iPhone, ask yourself if you need to be connected to the
Internet at all times. If the answer is yes, the iPhone is probably the
device for you. If you have Wi-Fi available at almost all places you go, you
might want to look into an iPod Touch or iPad. The difference between an
iPod Touch and iPad is screen size. The iPod Touch fits in the palm of your
hand, while the iPad is best held with two hands. The iPad is also available
through cell phone companies with a data plan that connects to the Internet
anywhere a cell phone can get a signal. But again, you'll be tethered to a
monthly cellular charge like the iPhone. The iPod Touch is solely Wi-Fi
capable.

                You can reach Bill at: william.burgess at mtsu.edu
<mailto:william.burgess at mtsu.edu>

Through Spouse's Eyes Part II "The Decision"

By Lenora Norman

                Note from the Editor: The topic for this edition of the
Tennessee Voice is "New Beginnings." My wife, Lenora Norman, tells of a new
beginning in her continuation of "throughSpouse's Eyes."

It was a day or two after Christmas, Steve was sitting at the table of his
parents' home in Georgia, talking on the phone to someone. I could tell it
was a man by his tone. Steve sounded fairly serious, but had a hint of a
smile on his face. I wondered if the person was someone he knew. The most
distinct words of the conversation Steve spoke as he ended the call; I would
like to think about it. Steve then proceeded to tell me the summary of his
call; it was a guide dog agency, offering him an opportunity to receive a
Doberman pincher. I received this information with a bit of awe. A Dobie ,
as Steve referred , in our apartment, in our lives. What about the dog's
temperament, will he or she receive me, I snap out of my own thoughts as
Steve continues with details, he has until the end of the day to make a
decision, and if he accepts, he will be gone many miles away for a month..
My mind begins to twirl again, but I consider the big picture, will the
apartment accept this breed of dog, even if he or she is a guide service
dog. Will I be able to tolerate living with him, will my allergies be an
issue. Well he is a short haired dog;

Steve would have a new companion, an addition to his already independent
life. Wow, Steve would be opened to explore everything in a brand new way. I
am excited for him, and nervous. I always get a little nervous when he
travels, because some people just don't understand how to interact with
persons who have a disability. I think to myself just give it to God all
will be well! This day begins to swell with back and forth phone
conversations, with friends and acquaintances that have experiences with
guide dogs, and dogs in general. Those on the other end, commented on
breeds, their nature and temperament, how the decision was made, what to
factor in making this decision. This decision will impact our lives
together, the people he works with, the members of our church, all the
people we encounter, known and unknown. It makes a person think about other
life decisions, all we do whether intentional or unintentional affects
others. The day had come and gone and Steve had not given the agency his
answer, I wondered would they still consider him a candidate, would Steve
get the dog, I question to myself. The man calls again, and Steve says yes,
and on Sunday he was off.

We woke up early and rushed to the airport, I keyed Steve's info onto the
airline kiosk, and could not find his name, I ask do they have the proper
spelling, Steve replies yes, we ask the woman at the desk. She replies he
has missed the flight, but we are early!  Oh no, she says, with haste in her
voice, she enters my info and lets us know we have a chance to make it.
Through the security line, the first check point, seemed to be smooth, the
second not so smooth. The woman spoke directly to me asking about Steve,
"can he walk without his cane for a moment, I turn to Steve and ask what he
would like to do, he complies. Not very happy about this interaction, we are
slightly delayed, for the woman does not immediately return his cane. No
way, thinking to self, they can't just keep his cane. I speak to a different
individual, and a few moments pass before it is returned. We are nearly
running to his gate at this point. All passengers are literally boarding
when we arrive to the counter of the boarding gate. Things were so rushed,
we did not get a chance to kiss good bye, or say I love you. He made it, I
thought, he made the decision, he made the flight, and Steve was off to
experience a brand new journey, with a new friend.

You can reach Lenora Norman at: len332 at yahoo.com <mailto:len332 at yahoo.com>

Giving Back Gives You More

By Lynn Jackson

The members of the Memphis chapter of the NFB have been busy learning more
about how to be a better chapter and improving the community.

Several members attended the Leadership Training held in Nashville this
summer. They learned more about organization management. It prove to be a
team building event for each member of the Memphis affiliate.

Members began the Fall by  taking part in the Vision Walk, a community wide
effort to raise awareness of diseases which cause blindness. The walk also
raised money for research to prevent blindness.

At Halloween members cleaned up the grounds at the Crenshaw Library where
the chapter has been meeting for over twenty years. Once leaves and trash
were removed, children from the neighborhood were able to enjoy a big
Halloween Party.

As friends of the Library, the Memphis chapter of NFB donated baskets to
needy families selected by the library staff.

The year ended by joining with Clovernook School for the Blind and Visually
Impaired,to grant Christmas wishes to children on the Salvation Army Angel
Tree. Giving toys and gifts to children who would not have had anything for
Christmas filled each member with warm feelings of the season.

It was a good year, and 2015 should be even better with the plans that have
been outlined. A local website will be developed, a walkathon and community
wide seminars on healthy habits to prevent blindness will be shared with
churches. The members continue to make a difference in the lives of others
by sharing knowledge and giving back to the community.

Thanks For Your Attention,

Lynn Jackson

                You can reach Lynn Jackson at: lynnjack84606 at gmail.com

Christmas for Louise

By James Alan Boehm

                As president of the Stones River chapter, I am deeply moved
at the giving spirit of our chapter this holiday season! A motion was passed
to give a child in Nashville gifts to brighten the end of his 2014! Our VP
Quinn Howard recently learned about a family in need with four children,
including 4 year old Luis, who is blind. Immediately, chapter members began
donating at the chapter meeting and $126 was raised! Here is what we
acquired for Luis and his family:

-Checker board set: This checker set has a board with raised lines so you
can feel the squares. Also, the red checkers are round, while the black
checkers are square.

- Educational magnetic board: This magnetic board comes with numbers and
letters in large print and Braille combinations.

- 2 different coloring books with raised lines.  Books that teach about
Braille and have raised lines for Louis to feel as he colors!

- Children's Book "Sadie Can Count": A book with large print text, Braille,
and textured pages .

- Leather football: Not just any football. This child-size football has two
small bells inside, very similar to what you find in a goal ball.

-$40 gift card to Kroger:  Luis' parents can buy food for a nice, Christmas
dinner.

This week, his vision teacher will give the box with our gifts directly to
his parents at the end of a school day.  Luis and his family will surely be
touched by these generous gifts!

I would like to thank the Stones River members for their giving hearts! 2014
has been a great year for our chapter! We have grown in so many ways: new
members, vision, and spirit! I am honored to call myself a member of Stones
River, a proud chapter of the National Federation of the Blind!

James Alan Boehm

Contact Information:

Phone: 901-483-1515

Personal Email:  <mailto:jimmydagerman80 at gmail.com>
jimmydagerman80 at gmail.com

NFB Email:  <mailto:secretary at nfb-tn.org> secretary at nfb-tn.org

Kustom Cane:  <mailto:kustomcane at gmail.com> kustomcane at gmail.com

Tennessee Association of Guide Dog Users (TAGDU( Plans for 2015

By James Alan Boehm

,                TAGDU had an remarkable 2014! 2015  will be  even better!
We need you to make that happen! Some of you are current members, some
receiving this newsletter are  working on acquiring a guide dog. We are
looking forward to seeing you at the annual TAGDU  meeting at the state
convention. If you have any ideas for speakers or invitees, please contact
me.

                Elections will be held at our convention meeting. According
to our constitution, in even years, elections shall be held for a vice
president, treasurer, and board member. As a team, we can accomplish many
great things! 2014 was proof of that! I want to thank  all who worked with
TAGDU in 2014.

Here are some things we accomplished:

<http://www.knoxnews.com/news/school-policies-on-guide-dogs-may-violate-ada>
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/school-policies-on-guide-dogs-may-violate-ada

http://archive.tennessean.com/article/20140306/NEWS01/303060155/Service-dogs
-still-hounded-despite-change-Tennessee-law
<http://archive.tennessean.com/article/20140306/NEWS01/303060155/Service-dog
s-still-hounded-despite-change-Tennessee-la>

                We still have a lot  of work to do

Have you joined our Facebook page yet?

Join here:

https://www.facebook.com/tnguidedogs

Feel free to contact me with any questions or thoughts. Remember, we are
here for each other. If you ever have any safety issues, transportation
disputes, access denials-call me at 901-483-1515!

                Finally, dues for our division will be collected at our
convention program. Due payments may be made with cash, debit, or credit
card. Dues are $5/year! I look forward to working with you all in 2015!

jimmydagerman80 at gmail.com

NFB Email:  <mailto:secretary at nfb-tn.org> secretary at nfb-tn.org

Kustom Cane:  <mailto:kustomcane at gmail.com> kustomcane at gmail.com

Blindness never limits-low expectations do! Live the life you want!

Tasty Gooey Bars

By Wendy Bergman

Bottom Layer: Mix together the following ingredients with a pastry blender
or 2 forks.  It should be rather fluffy and pat into a slightly greased 9 by
13 pan.  Do not pat down tightly or crust may be too hard. 1 egg (slightly
beaten first),

1 yellow cake mix (I use Duncan Hines), and

1 stick of butter (softened at room temperature)

Top Layer: Mix the following ingredients with a mixer and mix it well! Pour
onto bottom layer and it will be thick and somewhat "liquidy". Spread this
layer evenly over the bottom layer.

2 eggs - slightly beaten,

1 box of powdered sugar (1 pound),

8 ounces of cream cheese, and

1 tsp of vanilla.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until it is nicely golden brown and
the top looks and feels "set".  Cool before cutting pieces.  Enjoy!

- from Nel Bergman