[Tn-talk] 2016 BELL Academy for Blind and Low-vision Students

james brown president at nfb-tn.org
Wed Apr 27 23:04:56 UTC 2016

Dear Friends,

The National Federation of the Blind of Tennessee and Middle Tennessee State
University will be co-hosting Middle Tennessee's BELL Academy this year from
June 5-11 in beautiful Murfreesboro, Tennessee.  Since BELL camp is
residential this year, you will be able to drop children off on Sunday and
return to pick them up on Saturday.  The Braille Enrichment for Learning and
Literacy Academy provides intensive Braille instruction to blind and
low-vision students from 6-13 years old during the summer months for
students who are not receiving enough Braille instruction, or for children
who could simply benefit from more Braille.

Other BELL activities may include but are not limited to:

.         Learning to cook from blind adults and MTSU culinary professors.

.         Co-writing a song with professional Nashville songwriters.

.         Recording and producing a fantastic track at MTSU's state of the
art recording studio.

.         Being introduced to successful blind adults in various fields of
employment.

.         Dissecting a scary shark with the Biology Department!

.         Observing a college classroom setting.

.         Participating in energetic Karate and Yoga classes.

.         Producing chocolate milk at the MTSU dairy farm.

.         Super fun fieldtrips, and much, much more!

We are very excited that MTSU is partnering with us for a 7-day residential
program of Braille fun for the kids in a campus structured discovery
environment.  The registration fee this year will be $100.00. If you need
financial assistants, we have scholarships available.

For more information, please contact Tonika Jordan at (615) 568-2613 or by
e-mail at nika1908 at yahoo.com.

You can also fill out the BELL application at:

https://nfb.org/bell-summer-program-form

Parent Testimonials

.         "I learned that I can support and encourage her while allowing her
to be independent; but it isn't helpful to "save" her. I was able to see
just how independent she could be if she was allowed. This was the most
positive program/experience we have ever been involved in. Incredible
resource for us both."

.         "I appreciate that he wanted to do more and learn more, the way it
was taught was fun and exciting so it made him more excited about it."

.         "NFB BELL stimulated my daughter's interest in studying Braille.
She is now aware of Braille in her environment. She asked after seeing
Braille on the train ticket dispensers 'Is Braille that popular?'"

.         "He learned he can make his own meals and has been asking to pack
his own lunch ever since."

.         "At NFB BELL this summer, my girls got to draw and color on a
tactile drawing board that made crayon marks textured."

.         "He loved the field trips. NFB BELL encourages him to be
independent and improve his use of his white cane."

.         "My son learned there were many students learning Braille, he
enjoyed meeting adults and learning of their occupations, and he progressed
in his Braille reading and writing skills and new skills like abacus
counting and use of the slate and stylus and O&M skills because of the
constant reinforcement."

Best,

James Brown