[Tn-talk] Update on Former Uber Driver in Tennessee

NFBTN Secretary secretary at nfb-tn.org
Tue Aug 16 00:29:16 UTC 2016

Dear family,
I hope the beginning of the week finds you well. I wanted to update everyone with the situation here in Tennessee. As you know, in April a Uber driver not only denied a public service, but defiantly yelled out her car “Just call the police” and squeeled her tires.  Uber fired her and the Rutherford county sherriff’s department filed charges. In Tennessee it is a Class C misdemeanor to deny a public service. This has given our TAGDU division to educate  both city and county police agencies in Rutherford county. We have educated the detectives of Rutherford county. Also, due to the 3 news television channels that did a story on the denial, many in the public have been educated. It has also spread awareness about NAGDU and the NFB, which is great!
	Now at the hearing, the former driver asked for a continuance.The judge allowed her this once and rescheduled for September 10, at 8 am. We had over 14 fellow federationists from as far away as Memphis(a 3 1/2 hour drive). They  left at 3 inMany of them woke up as early s 2 am and met up before driving to the hearing , which started at 8. What dedication!  Below is the link to channel 2, who did the story. They were allowed to be in the court room during the hearing.
http://wkrn.com/2016/08/09/former-uber-driver-facing-legal-battle-after-allegedly-denying-ride-to-blind-man-and-his-service-dog/
We had on hand many of our new NAGDU brochures to share with the media, the DA, and other officials that were present.
Already, we are getting feedback from some of the same members and others who plan to be present at the court room September 10th. We will update you all on what transpires. I would like to thank everyone who helped us put together the press release, provided direction, and supported TAGDU! Our  federation family should be commended for their efforts! I wish everyone a wonderful week! Let’s go build the federation!
best,
James Alan Boehm
Contact Information:
Phone: 901-483-1515
Personal Email: jimmydagerman80 at gmail.com
NFB Email: secretary at nfb-tn.org
Kustom Cane: kustomcane at gmail.com

Blindness never limits-low expectations do! Live the life you want!