[Trainer-talk] Dragon & speech impairments?

Terrence VanEttinger tvanettinger at alaskabvi.org
Tue Aug 24 22:13:31 UTC 2010

Hello, all,
We have a client who is needing to input text into a computer, but a) has trouble typing with 1 or both of his hands, and (b) is at times more or less speech-impaired depending on his level of energy.  He was using ZoomText, but apparently his brain tumor has re-surfaced and resulted in further deterioration of his vision.  Dragon was brought up to him as a possibility for inputting text into the computer for the book he's trying to write, but my concern is that, with his speech difficulties, Dragon may be less effective.  Also, how well does it work with ZoomText?  I would appreciate any input on adaptations for someone with reduced motor function and speech issues in conjunction with visual impairment.

Thanks,
Terrence

Terrence van Ettinger
Braille and Assistive Technology Instructor
Alaska Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired
3903 Taft Dr.
Anchorage, AK 99517-3069
(907) 248-7770, X205
tvanettinger at alaskabvi.org