[Trainer-talk] Blind folks and the IPhone

Dean Martineau dean at topdotenterprises.com
Fri Jul 16 00:37:40 UTC 2010

The iPhone is not somewhat accessible, it is totally accessible.  Everything
works out of the box, and multitudes of the available apps from the app
store work fine for the blind.  Whether it's the phone for you depends on
what you want to do with your phone, though with the new version, IOS4,
typing is easier and Bluetooth keyboards and braille displays are supported,
so some of the problems of earlier versions no longer exist.

I created a tutorial which has been well received.  It covers the previous
software, but is still mostly accurate.
http://accessibleworld.org/content/accessible-world-tek-talk-presents-dean-m
artineau-january-11-2009-dean-martineau

While there are doubtless individual functions that other phones with their
screen reader do better, and if the Android folks ever get a full-featured
screen reader option finished, their phones may outclass the iPhone, at
present I think the iPhone is a very good, if not the best, overall phone
solution for a lot of blind users.

Dean