[Trainer-talk] Antivirus/security software

Joshua Boudreaux jboudreaux at lcb-ruston.com
Mon Nov 8 23:47:05 UTC 2010

Hello Chip,

At lcb, we use TrendMicro. The protection is great but the accessibility is
poor. For personal PCs, I think security essentials is great, but I have
seen a virus slip through on folks on occasion, but the accessibility is
unmatched and it is very unobtrusive on the personal PC side. But, I don't
know anything about its effectiveness on the server side.  Now, though many
have complained about Norton in the past, it has really improved in
performance and effectiveness on the PC side in both the 2010 and 2011
versions as many reviewers including the folks at windows secrets attest.  I
have used it in limited fashion for personal PCs and have found that the
accessibility is OK but there are some issues. As for Symantec on the server
side, I have no idea of its accessibility rating, but I have seen many
reviews give the latest releases a thumbs up on effectiveness and
performance.  I don't know about "End Point" in particular, though.

One more suggestion: I have heard good things about a program called
F-secure for servers. I have also used other file backup products from them
and they have been quite accessible.

Hope it goes well for you.

Joshua Boudreaux, Director of Technology
Louisiana Center for the Blind
(318) 251-2891
www.lcb-ruston.com