[Trainer-talk] Antivirus/security software

David Goldfield disciple1211 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 25 08:38:02 UTC 2010

I'm a little late in commenting on this discussion, but I also agree
that AVG is, for the most part, quite accessible from the standpoint of
a keyboard user.  When AVG 2011 came out I got nervous as I wondered
whether AVG broke the interface.  Surprisingly, they did not and the
program is very similar in its interface as it was with versions 8 and
9; 2011 is really version 10.
Installing the 2011 upgrade over version 9.0 was fairly easy, although I
have heard that installing the free version of AVG Antivirus 2011 is a
bit tricky for speech users as there is a particular screen which is
very hard to get past to the next button or whatever button is supposed
to be pressed, so if you plan to install the free AVG product be
prepared to do some serious battle.
Version 2011 has some buttons for functions like Antirootkit,
Antispyware, etc. which work sometimes via arrow keys and other times
are silent.  However, 2011 has a menu bar (remember those?) which allows
you to access all of its components.
The new version does come with a one-time demo of AVG's Tune-Up Utility
which I found to be very difficult to use via the keyboard, if not
almost impossible.  However, as there are many free programs to do PC
cleanup I'm not sure I'd pay AVG extra  for such a program but some may
feel it's worth pursuing.

As has also been stated the free microsoft Security Essentials is very
accessible.  I think there needs to be some more proactive advocacy on
the part of blind consumers with this type of software.  I may be wrong,
and if I am wrong I'd be happy to receive correction or other views from
readers on this list but I get the sense that, while sighted people
choose antivirus software based on how good they think the program will
perform blind people choose security software based on how accessible
the software is with their screen reader.  This doesn't seem to be a
good method for choosing which program you're going to use to protect
your computer from unwanted and malicious attacks and I think that we
(myself included) need to contact vendors who produce inaccessible
software and inform them that our access software won't speak with their
particular solution.  I'm guilty of just finding a solution that talks
with my screen reader and so I'm not trying to talk down to other blind
consumers, but security software is so important and I think that more
steps need to be taken to ensure that these packages are accessible to
us.  I certainly don't believe that vendors are deliberately locking out
blind users; I think they just aren't aware of our needs and issues and
they need to be made aware of them.  Has anyone contacted vendors of
inaccessible security software to ask if they can make their packages
more accessible?  How did they respond?

David