[Trainer-talk] accessible bookkeeping/accounting software - Accessibility - OpenOffice.org Wiki

David Goldfield disciple1211 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 3 01:39:09 UTC 2010

I have been doing some testing using the latest version of OpenOffice
with screen readers.  For some reason, I am experiencing consistent
crashes whenever I try to enter data using OpenOffice Calc and JAWS
11.0.1467.  I have emailed Freedom Scientific's tech support about this
issue.  OpenOffice Calc works very well with NVDA 2010.2 beta 2.  In
fact, NVDA seems to handle Calc better than Excel in that it identifies
the name of the active sheet when you use control-pageup and
control-pagedown to move from one sheet to another.  NVDA doesn't
automatically read the same info when moving from sheet to sheet using
Excel.  I would recommend that people give IBM Lotus Symphony a test
spin as their spreadsheet seems to work better.  I will warn you that
the automatic spellchecker for both OpenOffice and Symphony has some
access issues in that it is very hard to identify the incorrect word
with speech.  The dialogs are fairly accessible but it isn't easy to
always figure out which word is being flagged as wrong.  Also, some of
the Symphony dialogs in the latest beta don't always allow the keyboard
focus to move to the OK and Cancel buttons when using the tab key.  When
this happens it is necessary to press ctrl-tab to move to these
buttons.  I have sent IBM a report on these issues in their feedback form.

David Goldfield.