[Trainer-talk] Braille display, reading brf files, product advice

Barbara Johnson teatime45 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 31 00:17:46 UTC 2012

I used to have an 18-cell Braille display, on which I read .brf files.  You
just have to hit the forward button incessantly and put up with a few blank
areas.  I was willing to put up with the inconvenience.

I have a Mac Mini running both Lion OS and Windows on BootCamp.  With a blue
tooth Braille display you have to choose which operating system you want it
to work with.  Once you choose, the display won't work with the other
operating system, even if technically it is compatible with both systems.  I
don't know what happens when you move from an IPhone to a Windows computer,
but I imagine the same issue would crop up.  If you're serious about using
the same display on a computer and the IPhone, you may have to get a Mac.

Since I often have to produce documents containing tables, I prefer to use
Windows.  As far as I can determine, the table functions in Apple's TextEdit
and Pages word processors are not accessible.  I have heard that Pages has
problems re-naming files, but someone else would have to enlighten us on
that.