[Trainer-talk] technology trainer requirements

Jeanine Lineback jeanine.lineback at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 23:45:08 UTC 2012

Alexander, there are two certification programs for becoming a
certified trainer of assistive technology for the blind that I'm aware
of . One is through Access Technology Institute,
http://www.blindtraining.com. This is an online program and is where I
received my certification. the other is through Lions World
http://www.lwsb.org/assistive_technology_instructor_program.asp. This
is a residential program in Arkansaw.
Niether of these is accredited through a college or university. I
don't know of any accredited university programs for Assistive Tech
trainers of the blind. There are a few programs like the one at CSUN
for assistive technology but it is not specific to persons who are
blind or low vision. Most government and private companies base their
hiring decisions for assistive tech trainers on the level of
experience and scope or variety of software and hardware products that
a trainer can demonstrated his/her ability to train in. Some states
like Texas require that a trainer who wants to contract with the
Division for Blind Services to train on assistive software and
hardware used by the blind, take a series of tests, which demonstrates
their knowledge in the products and their ability to teach blind
persons the products effectively.
Recently, in the last year, I have seen job postings from companies
list as a preference that the person they hire have a computer science
degree or related field.
Hth