[Trainer-talk] training sessions with clients

Scott Blanks scott_blanks at lbcenter.org
Wed Jul 18 17:19:48 UTC 2012

Every client is different--some can only take 1 to 1.5 hours, others have the stamina for a full work day's worth of instruction and stay focused the entire time. Frequent breaks, 5 or 10 minutes every hour, will likely extend someone's ability to absorb information. Try to identify during the assessment process whether the client will be up for a lengthy training session. If you are far from them, talk to them by phone to determine what other activities they participate in. If this person isn't working, or does not regularly take part in many activities which require brain exercise, these are likely alarm bells that a 3-4 hour meeting will not be productive.

Scott Blanks
Director of Rehabilitation Services
Lions Center for the Blind
Ph: 510-450-1580 Ext. 263