[Trainer-talk] training sessions with clients

Brett Boyer bboyer202 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 21:40:07 UTC 2012

Ok wel here is the deal. I'm just a little frustrated now so I thought I
would take this to the list. I don't know where else to turn.
I have clients that live at least 50 or mmore miles away. In the past like
Denver I've always rode the bus or the paratransit was somewhat reliable. It
seems that here, the only way to get this done is a driver. The driver's
rates are 10 dollars an hour plus 55 cents a mile. My boss thinks  I should
make my sessions 3 or 4 hours with a 15 minute break in the middle. I am not
used to teaching people for such a long period of time given the nature of
adaptive technology; it can be quite overwhelming, confusing, and
frustrating and 3 or 4 hours? I just don't feel it would be effective
training. He is setting up some kind of online remote login but thats down
the road a bit.
Of course if I have more than one client in a particular area I can schedule
to be there longer. I know for him, with a driver, it's not cost effective
for a 2 hour session but if I don't have any other clients I just don't know
the right way to aproach this.
If you want you can contact me off list but maybe this could help other
people in my situation.
So what are your thoughts or personal experiences with something like this?
Should I try to find a better mode of transportation? Is there anything I
can do to make these sessions effective for everyone?
Anyone's input is greatly apreciated.
I sure miss training in a class room / lab setting!
bb