[Trainer-talk] Linux; Orca in OpenSuse

Blaine Clark blaineclrk at gmail.com
Mon May 21 20:55:40 UTC 2012

There is an OpenSuse specific forum thread for Orca here;
forums.opensuse.org/orca
<http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/469207-accessibility-using-orca-screen-reader-gnome-3-a.html>

For general information and documentation on Orca, see here;
gnome.org/Orca <https://live.gnome.org/Orca>
Be advised that the live.gnome.org sites are running slow, at least for
me. Give them time to load.

Orca has magnification capabilities, but I've never found it to be
stable on any machine or Linux build especially when run at the same
time with Orca in speech mode, so I'll recommend gnome-mag to run
alongside of Orca as it reads if you need magnification at the same
time. Yes, it can help a great deal to run both and get the full
benefits of each. To get info on gnome-mag see here;
gnome.org/Magnification <https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Magnification>

As for a specific point-of-sale program and problems with it's
compatibility with Orca, see if you can get some input from the program
developer. If there is a major problem with compatibility, check on
every forum you can find regarding both Orca and POS programs to see if
there's one that's better suited to operate with Orca.

Blaine