[Trainer-talk] Happy 25th Anniversary to the Braille 'n Speak

David Goldfield disciple1211 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 15 02:25:14 UTC 2012

If my knowledge and memory on Blazie Engineering history is correct then
this week we celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Braille 'n Speak from
Blazie Engineering.  This device was sold for approximately 15 years
both by Blazie Engineering and for a few years by Freedom Scientific.
Here is what I remember regarding milestones from this time period.

October 15, 1987.  One of the first if not the first update for Bns is
released.  The unit contained just 45 pages of Ram equal to 180K.  Files
could not be made bigger or smaller and could not be renamed.  Cut, copy
and paste functions were not yet implemented.
March 1988.  Bns receives what was likely its first major update which
included cut, copy and paste commands and the ability to recover files.
I believe this is also when the calculator and stopwatch were first
offered.  Calc and stopwatch were a $99.00 option but eventually were
offered in all revisions probably around 1991.
February 1989. Update introduced to offer commands to make files bigger
and smaller and added rename capabilities.
Speaksys was likely available by this time; this was a DOS-based screen
reader which allowed Bns to act as both a synthesizer and a keyboard for
your PC, price was around $150.00. Speaksys was eventually revamped and
updated with more features and became PCMaster, sold for $395.00.  I
have a Braille copy of the PCMaster manual which I wrote.
July 1990.  Update was offered to add some voice inflection and the
ability to write macros to automate functions.  Braille Blazer embosser
was also introduced that year.  Also introduced was the Bns disk drive.
Prior to the disk drive you could either transfer Bns files to a
computer or on casette tape using a tape interface device which was
offered for $99.00.
October 14, 1991.  First revision of the Bns 640 was introduced.
Contained over 150 memory pages and a smart calendar to obtain the day
of any date.
Summer 1992.  Major revision of the Bns 640 was offered including
xmodem, Ymodem and Kermit upload/download capabilities.  Ymodem meant
that multiple files could be downloaded/uploaded.  Also the ability to
write programs for the Bns was introduced and several developers took
advantage of this meaning that more external programs were offered
including Braille translators, a macro recorder and many games.  Blazie
Engineering eventually offered a checkbook manager and a third-party
developer wrote a database called Braille Base.  Two terminal programs
were also offered.  I think I have copies of nearly all of this software.
Late 1992.  Type 'n Speak was introduced.  This offered a paralel
printer port, an alarm clock and the ability for users to update their
units via flash.
Summer 1993.  Braille Lite 18 introduced.  I believe Windows Master was
also introduced around this time, possibly in 1992.  This was one of the
first Windows screen readers ever offered.
Braille Lite 40 came around probably in the summer of 1996.
I think the last revision to the Blazie line of notetakers was offered
by Freedom Scientific in the summer of 2002.

Blazie Engineering's products revolutionized the lives of so many blind
users, myself included, by offering innovative and inexpensive products
which were very intuitive.  Happy anniversary to the Braille 'n Speak
which started that revolution!!!!

David Goldfield