[Trainer-talk] Liability insurance

Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. ukekearuaro at valtdnet.com
Wed Feb 13 16:12:25 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone:

Gabe is right about general liability insurance.  In my line of business, my
company is also required to carry a surety bond insurance of at least
$50,000.

On general liability insurance, my company has paid $500 for $2 million
coverage.  The surety bond has cost the company $600 for a year and covers
$100,000 in liability.

My company has a storefront and is required to meet ADA guidelines and such.
Surety bond insurance guards against fraud and nonperformance.  Required by
both CMS and Medicaid.

My line of business is durable and home medical equipment and supplies; my
company carries and sells diabetic products to include custom and
prefabricated shoes, inserts, glucometers.  We also carry and sell grabbers,
manual and power wheelchairs, rollators, scooters, gauze pads, nutritional
formularies like Ensure and Boost, to name just a few products.  In a few
weeks, we begin carrying scrubs and klugs, Talking GlucoCard from Arkray
USA, and Count-A-DOSE that can be used by the blind from Prodigy.

We do some limited training, albeit for free at this time.  In our primary
line of business, the fees we are paid are set by both CMS and Medicaid.  We
are Colorado Medicaid certified.

Lastly, we have to be accredited and the accreditation agencies DO NOT
provide materials in an accessible format as most of them claim that they
ARE NOT BOUND by the provisions of the ADA.  We may challenge a few of them
in cort to have them prove their positions.  Accreditation in itself cost
$10,000 and is ONLY GOOD for three years at a time.  Our storefront gets
regular unannounced inspection visits from Medicaid surveyors.

Right now, we're working extra hard to find a web developer to assist us in
getting our ONLINE STORE up and running.  Hopefully we can find one that
won't break the bank!!!

Thanks to the list owners for permitting a discussion on general liability
insurance, kudos to Gabe for bringing up the subject.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado