[Trainer-talk] FW: GW Micro Announces Global Window-Eyes Initiative for users of Microsoft Office

Dean Martineau dean at topdotenterprises.com
Thu Jan 16 22:20:54 UTC 2014

FWIW, Freedom Scientific has not tended to acknowledge the existence of any
competition, except to occasionally sue them.  It will be interesting to see
what effect the presence of a new executive director and the presence of
Jonathan Mosen in the role of social media coordinator have on the response
to this industry change.

A concern I have is that the presence of all these free options can tend to
lead to less quality accessibility.  Nobody particularly lauds NVDA because
it is good and powerful; because it is not. It is essentially adequate and
not at all powerful, but it is free, hence people love it.  Now we have
Window-Eyes injected into the fray.  Its web browsing is not equal to that
of JAWS, nor even is its support for Word, but now it too will be free as
long as the system contains a paid copy of Office in a recent version.  So
the tendency will be to provide blind people to these free access solutions
and then say, somewhat truthfully, that access has been provided.  This
despite the fact that JAWS contains features these free programs, with their
small and often underpaid development staffs, do not and will not have.  I
hope Gw Micro is getting some money from Microsoft so that it can intensify
its development.  In the meantime, those in a position to influence
acquisition decisions for blind users will have to be aware of the
capabilities of all these products so that they can, if needed, distinguish
between what is free and what is effective for the particular user.

Dean