[Trainer-talk] Sighted Assistance for Computer Set-uP

Blaine Clark blaineclrk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 17:35:36 UTC 2014

If you're looking for something that will help you recover files from a
crashed system or try to do some system repair, You could check out a
Vinux Live Load CD. I recovered files from a Win-7 system crash caused
by a ruined Recovery attempt by a friend. It was on a laptop and the
power went off all over town. The battery didn't last of course and the
system was toasted when the Recovery was stopped by the loss of all
power. I accessed the hard drive and copied files to a USB drive, gave
one attempt to figure out how to use Linux tools to see if the system
could be repaired but gave up on that, over my head. To use any type of
Linux Live Load, the computer has to be set to boot from either optical
or USB drive before the hard drive. On the other hand, if the hard drive
won't boot then the computer will default to the other drives. You need
to get into the BIOS to make boot order settings and that's still an
unaccessible chore but most older computers will boot from peripherals
first by default.

This was my friend's first encounter with Vinux and she was so impressed
listening to me browse her dead hard drive that latter on, she had me
put it on her laptop alongside her Win-7 in a dual-boot set up.

No Microsoft garbage used here, sent by a very satisfied Linux-Mint
<http://www.linuxmint.com/> user (a former disgruntled Microsoft user).
You could check out Vinux, Linux for the visually impaired
<http://wiki.vinuxproject.org/>, and on FaceBook.
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/vinux>
This email and any attachments are not virus scanned either, that's up
to you poor Microsoft users to deal with.
I'd rather be a wild and wacky Linux Penguin than a docile,
domesticated, Microsoft sheep.