[Trainer-Talk] Transcribing Scientific Formulas In To Braille Accurately

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Wed Dec 2 19:18:07 UTC 2015

Here is information I copied directly from Duxbury.  HTH

DBT 11.3 and Braille Math
Data Entry of Inkprint Mathematics Notation

To enter Inkprint Mathematics Notation into DBT 11.3, you need to be
familiar with mathematical notation and you need to make use of one of
several additional
software products. If you are not knowledgeable on braille mathematics,
make sure your work is checked by a proofreader until you thoroughly know
your
abilities and limits.

While Duxbury Systems is recommending third-party software, please note
that the general use and support for these products is generally provided
by the
developer and not Duxbury Systems. Inc. Issues relating to import and
braille translation however can be addressed to Duxbury Systems.

MathType

MathType is a mathematics formula editor developed by Design Science.
MathType users construct math and science equations in a WYSIWYG
environment. These
formulas are embedded in Microsoft Word documents. Mathtype is not a free
program, but is relatively inexpensive. You need to install Mathtype in
order
to import Word documents with equations into DBT 11.3.

If MathType is loaded on the same computer as DBT, then DBT can import
Microsoft Word documents containing MathType material. If MathType is not
loaded
on the same computer as DBT, then as DBT imports a Word document containing
MathType material, an error message shows up in the DBT file at the location
of each piece of mathematical notation in the file.

Mathtype information is available at
http://www.duxburysystems.com/documentation/mathtype.asp

Scientific Notebook

Scientific Notebook is an excellent program that works as a "word
processor" for mathematical notation, and generates the LaTeX files
(specialized textfiles)
that DBT can import. Create and print your print or large print mathematics
from Scientific Notebook. Save the file from Scientific Notebook. Then
launch
DBT, and open your Scientific Notebook file inside of DBT. You can
translate, and out comes braille for text and mathematical notation.
Duxbury Systems
supports Scientific Notebook 5.5, which is still available as a download.
The new version, Scientific Notebook 6.0.2 or above, is compatible with DBT.
If you did get Scientific Notebook 6.0, please update to 6.0.2 or above
from the MacKichan website, in order to work with DBT.

Scientific Notebook information is available at
http://www.mackichan.com/index.html?products/snb.html
 A simplified manual for Scientific Notebook can be obtained at
http://www.sciword.demon.co.uk/SNB.pdf

Infty Reader

InftyReader is OCR (optical character recognition) software to recognize
printed document and PDF in scientific fields including mathematical
notation
and tables, and to output the results in various formats including LaTeX,
which DBT can import. The use of InftyReader requires a high-end scanner
(400
or 600 dpi). Windows Vista and Windows 7 users should check compatibility
before purchase.

Infty Reader information is available at
http://www.sciaccess.net/en/InftyReader/index.html